Publications & Award Announcements
Publications- December 2014
Mustafa Salih Hizir, Mustafa Balcioglu, Muhit Rana, Neil Robertson and Mehmet V. Yigit (2014). Simultaneous detection of circulating oncomiRs from body fluids for prostate cancer staging using nano-graphene oxide. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6 (17), pp 14772–14778.
Neil Robertson and Mehmet V. Yigit (2014). The Role of miRNAs in Resistance to Breast Cancer Therapy. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews (WIREs) RNA, 5(6).
Mustafa Balcioglu, Muhit Rana, Neil Robertson and Mehmet V. Yigit (2014). DNA-Length-Dependent Quenching of Fluorescently Labeled Iron Oxide Nanoparticles with Gold, Graphene Oxide and MoS2 Nanostructures. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 6 (15), 12100–12110.
- Dr. Paul Agris’ recent awards include two from NSF and NIH; the first, a $2.1 million grant from NIH’s National Institute of General Medical Sciences to study new RNA-based broad spectrum antibiotics for drug-resistant bacteria; the second, a $570,000 grant from NSF Chemistry of Life Processes for molecular engineering of a novel cancer therapeutic targeting RNA.
- Dr. Maria Basanta-Sanchez received an STTR grant for $225,000 this September to collaborate with both Athghin Biotechnology Inc. and the Neural Stem Cell Institute (NSCI) on evaluating RNA modifications in medial frontal cortex cells upon exposure to drugs of abuse.
- Dr. Tom Begley was awarded a grant in the amount of $1.6 million titled "Translational Regulation of ROS Management". It is a collaboration with Professor Peter Dedon at MIT. The grant is funded by National Institutes of Environmental Health Sciences at NIH.
- Dr. Prash Rangan received a $1.43 million grant from the NIH for his research into both preventing and inducing differentiation in stem cells in order to treat cancers and degenerative diseases.
- Dr. Scott Tenenbaum was awarded an NIH/STTR for $225,000 titled "Using Structuring Interacting RNAs (sxRNAs) as microRNA Inhibitors.”
E. Chen, M.R. Sharma, X. Shi, R.K. Agrawal, & S. Joseph (2014). Fragile X Mental Retardation Protein Regulates Translation by Binding Directly to the Ribosome. Mol. Cell, 54, 407-417.
P.S. Kaushal, M.R. Sharma, T.M. Booth, E. Haque, C.-S. Tung, K.Y. Sanbonmatsu, L.L. Spremulli & R.K. Agrawal (2014). Cryo-EM structure of the small subunit of the mammalian mitochondrial ribosome. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 111, 7284-7289.
T.R. Shaikh, A. Yassin, Z. Lu, D. Barnard, X. Meng, T.-M. Lu, T. Wagenknecht & R.K. Agrawal (2014). Initial bridges between two ribosomal subunits are formed within 9.4 milliseconds as studied by time-resolved cryo-EM. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA., (in press)
SR Manjari, JD Pata, NK Banavali. (2014). Cytosine unstacking and strand slippage at an insertion-deletion mutation sequence in an overhang containing DNA duplex. Biochemistry, 53 (23), 3807–3816.
Qu G, Dong X, Piazza CL, Chalamcharla VR, Lutz S, Curcio MJ, Belfort M. (2014). RNA-RNA interactions and pre-mRNA mislocalization as drivers of group II intron loss from nuclear genomes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A., 111(18), 6612-7.
Liu, C., Rennie, W.A., Mallick, B., Kanoria, S. Long, D., Wolenc, A., Carmack, C.S. Ding, Y. (2014). MicroRNA Binding Sites in C. elegans 3' UTRs. RNA Biology, 11.
Rennie WA, Liu C, Carmack CS, Wolenc A, Kanoria S, Lu J, Long D, Ding Y. (2014). STarMir: a web server for prediction of microRNA binding sites. Nucleic Acids Res, (Epub)
P. N. Asare-Okai, E. Agustin, D. Fabris, M. Royzen. (2014). Site-specific fluorescence labelling of RNA using bio-orthogonal reaction of trans-cyclooctene and tetrazine. Chemical Communications, 50, 7844-7847.
Mladenova, S.R., Stein, K.R., Bartlett, L., and Sheppard, K. (2014). Relaxed tRNA specificity of the Staphylococcus aureus aspartyl-tRNA synthetase enables RNA-dependent asparagine biosynthesis. FEBS Lett, 588, 1808-1812.
Doyle F., Tenenbaum SA. (2014). Trans-regulation of RNA-binding protein motifs by microRNA. Front Genet, 5:79.
Jayaseelan S, Doyle F, Tenenbaum SA. (2014). Profiling post-transcriptionally networked mRNA subsets using RIP-Chip and RIP-Seq. Methods, 67(1), 13-9.
Stephenson W, Keller S, Santiago R, Albrecht JE, Asare-Okai PN, Tenenbaum SA, Zuker M, Li PT. (2014). Combining temperature and force to study folding of an RNA hairpin. Phys Chem Chem Phys, 16(3), 906-17.
- Dr. Daniel Aalbert’s project "AREA: Optimizing gene expression with mRNA free energy modeling and algorithms" has been funded by the NIH
- Dr. Marlene Belfort was appointed to the NIH Council of Councils.
- Dr. Prashanth Rangan was named a Pew Scholar in the Biomedical Sciences.
- Dr. Scott Tenenbaum received a new phase one STTR from the NIH/NIGM recently to explore using sxRNA as an anti-miR
Rana, M., Balcioglu, M., Robertson, N. & Yigit, M.V. (2014). Nano-graphene oxide as a novel platform for monitoring the effect of LNA modification in nucleic acid interactions. Analyst, 139(4), 714 – 720.
Rana, M., Balcioglu, M. & Yigit, M.V. (2014). Locked nucleic acid-modified antisense miR-10b oligonucleotides form stable duplexes on gold nanoparticles. BioNanoScience. (accepted)
Gupta, K., Contreras, L., Smith, D., Qu, G., Huang, T., Spruce, L., Seeholzer, SH., Belfort, M., Van Duyne GD. (2014). Quaternary arrangement of an active, native group II intron ribonucleoprotein complex revealed by small-angle X-ray scattering. Nucleic Acids Research. (Epub ahead of print)
Dong, P., Kaneuchi, M., Xiong, Y., Cao, L., Cai, M., Liu, X., Guo, SW., Ju, J., Konno, Y., Watari, H., Sudo, S., Sakuragi, N. (2014). Identification of KLF17 as a novel epithelial to mesenchymal transition inducer via direct activation of TWIST1 in endometrioid endometrial cancer. Carcinogenesis, 35, 760-768.
Fesler, A., Jiang, J., Zhai, H., & Ju, J. (2014). Circulating microRNA Testing for the Early Diagnosis and Follow-up of Colorectal Cancer Patients. Mol Diagn Ther. (Epub ahead of print)