SUNY Cross-Registration Guidelines and Form

SUNY Cross-Registration Guidelines for Full-Time Undergraduate Students (Fall and Spring):

SUNY Cross-Registration Form

Home Institution = the institution where you are matriculated.
Host Institution = the institution with which you are seeking to take additional courses.

1. You must be a full-time matriculated undergraduate student at your home institution in order to waive tuition at the host institution.

2. You are limited to six (6) credits of undergraduate cross-registered coursework per semester (exceptions to this policy must be approved by the home institution and additional tuition and fees may apply).

3. You must have the approval of both the home and host institution. You are responsible for ensuring that the course(s) you register for meet the requirements of your degree. If you change your major/minor, the courses you cross-register for may no longer count toward degree requirements.

4. Please NOTE: even if you have the permission of the instructor or have satisfied all pre-requisites/co-requisites necessary for enrollment at the host institution, you must still complete the registration process through the appropriate office at the host institution to be considered officially registered in a course.

5. Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. You are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines and determining which office(s) are responsible for signing your form.

6. You will be responsible for the attendance and academic requirements of the course even if home and host calendars do not coincide.

7. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement is considered approval for the host institution to automatically release grades/transcripts to your home institution at the end of the semester.

8. Enrollment changes may impact your eligibility for financial aid for the current term and/or future terms, (e.g. dropping below full-time). Please consult your Financial Aid Office regarding academic eligibility for financial aid, including satisfactory academic progress standards.

9. You are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on BOTH campuses if you withdraw from a course(s) (Registrar, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, etc.). Failure to do so can result in a failing grade at the host institution.

10. Your signature on the Cross-Registration Agreement indicates your agreement to abide by all regulations imposed by the host institution (parking, attendance, library rules, etc.). In addition the host institution may apply rules and regulations to incoming students as it deems necessary (e.g., restrictions on classes based on seat availability). Be sure you are aware of those rules before you cross-register.

11. Home institution students have priority for all courses at the college or university, so popular courses may be closed to cross-registrants because of space limitations.

12. Mini-semesters, Winter Terms, and Summer Sessions are not covered by the Cross-Registration Agreement.

13. All course-related fees in excess of tuition are the responsibility of the student (e.g., lab fees). Click here for more information on course fees.

14. Please be advised that if you drop below full-time at your home institution, you may be liable for tuition at the host institution.

15. Any Health Center (immunization/records/physical exam, etc.) requirements must be met at BOTH institutions, even if they differ. UAlbany students may contact the Health Center.

16. Students cross-registering at Community Colleges: You must file residency documents at the host institution. This means you will need to provide the Community College a Certificate of Residence (must be obtained from the county of your permanent residence).

17. Registration is the responsibility of the student. You must check with the host institution to confirm how they plan to process your form, enrollment, and any necessary additional information or paperwork required to complete the enrollment process.


How to Process your Cross-Registration:

1. Seek advisement on the courses you wish to take. Consider whether or not they meet degree requirements.
a) UAlbany undergraduate students may use the transfer equivalency database to determine the equivalency of the courses they are seeking to enroll in at the host institution. If a course equivalency is not available, please complete the Undergraduate Post Matriculation Transfer Credit Form and submit a course description or syllabus to the Registrar's Office (CC B-52).

2. Obtain the signature of your academic advisor/chair/Dean (discretion of home institution).
a) UAlbany students should seek approval of their advisor.

3. Obtain the signature of the appropriate official at the home institution responsible for Cross-Registration (Registrar, Student Accounts, etc.).
a) UAlbany students should seek approval of the Registrar’s Office (CCB-52) before bringing the form to the host institution.

b) Students seeking to enroll at a SUNY Community College: you must provide the UAlbany Registrar's Office with your Certificate of Residence. You may obtain a Certificate of Residence from the county of your permanent address by providing proof of residency. To be considered valid, the Certificate of Residence must be issued within 60 days of the beginning of the semester. Some counties will issue Certificates of Residence through the mail if you send them a notarized application form AND proof that you are a resident of that county. Contact your County Treasurer's Office for information on how to obtain a Certificate of Residence by mail.

c) You must be prepared to provide the host institution with your immunization records. These can be obtained by contacting the University Health Center (the form and procedure can be found on their website - click here for more information).

4. Obtain the signature of the appropriate official at the host institution responsible for Cross-Registration (Registrar, Student Accounts, etc.).
a) UAlbany students should contact the host institution for clarification.

5. Complete any required application forms for the host institution.

6. Return the completed Agreement to the home institution immediately upon registering with the host institution. Failure to return the Agreement will result in not being registered for the intended cross-registered course(s).
a) UAlbany students must bring the completed form back to the UAlbany Registrar’s Office (CCB-52) at which time you will be registered for the appropriate UAlbany Cross-Registration course. You must do this by no later than the Last Day to Add a Semester Length Course with a permission number for the semester in question as listed on the UAlbany Academic Calendar. FAILURE TO RETURN THE FORM will mean you are NOT REGISTERED and will NOT RECEIVE CREDIT for participation in Cross-Registration.