- I need my AVN: can you give it to me?
- My AVN doesn’t work.
- I’m a BAMA student and I can’t register for my graduate classes.
- I tried registering for a class but it says the requisites or prerequisites have not been met.
- I am unable to register for my classes.
- I’m trying to add a course and it’s telling me it doesn’t exist.
- I am unable to register for more than 3 courses.
- My permission number is not working.
- Has my degree been awarded yet?
- Why was my degree denied?
- I have fixed my degree deficiencies, what next?
- I finished my incomplete grade earlier but my professor did not hand my grade in on time to graduate. What do I do?
- I have been cleared for my degree, when will I receive my diploma?
- The address where my diploma was mailed is wrong! What do I do?
- My diploma is incorrect! What can I do?
- I satisfied my hold, can I have my diploma now?
- I have two majors, why didn’t I receive two diplomas?
- I need to re-order my diploma, what do I do?
- Why isn’t my major on my diploma?
- There is a course on my audit that is not covering the right requirement. How can I get it moved?
- My advisor did an exception for me but I don’t see it on my audit.
- I transferred in classes from another school and I do not see it on my audit.
- Why isn’t my course covering a General Education Requirement?
- The anticipated graduation date on my enrollment verification is wrong. How can I get it changed?
- Can I request a copy of my official transcript which lists only my graduate coursework, despite also having completed undergraduate coursework at UAlbany?
- What if my question was not addressed here?
1. I need my AVN: can you give it to me?
If you are newly admitted, then you might have to contact Undergrad Admissions or Graduate Admissions concerning your record. If you have an orientation scheduled, then you are to wait until orientation and register at that point. If you are a current student who needs an AVN, you must contact your advisor. The Registrar’s Office does not issue AVNs.
2. My AVN doesn’t work.
The Registrar’s Office can verify whether your AVN is correct. You may be using the wrong semester’s AVN (AVNs are specific to each semester).
3. I’m a BAMA student and I can’t register for my graduate classes.
If you are not finished with your undergraduate career, then your graduate classes are registered with the rest of your undergraduate courses. In this case, you should use your undergraduate AVN.
- 500 Level - Need permission number
- 600 Level - Needs a letter from all of the following: Department Chair, Advisor, and Instructor
- 700 Level and above - Not allowed
4. I tried registering for a class but it says the requisites or prerequisites have not been met.
REQUISITES: this means that you are not part of the group that the class is set up for. In this case, you must get a permission number to register for the class.
If you have senior standing and the course is a 100 level, then you are NOT allowed to register for the course until the first day of classes, unless you receive permission from the Dean’s Office during Advance Registration. Once Advance Registration is over, you will need to obtain a permission number from your department.
PREREQUISITES: this means that there are certain classes that must be taken prior to or in conjunction with the course you are trying to register for. This error is typical of transfer students who may have taken the prerequisite courses at another university. In this case, you should take a copy of your degree audit (if the prerequisite course is listed on your audit) or a copy of your transcript to the instructor of the course to prove you have completed the prerequisites. If you have satisfactorily met the prerequisite requirement, the instructor may issue you a permission number to register for the course.
5. I am unable to register for my classes.
Check your My UAlbany account to ensure you do not have a hold on your account. A hold will prevent you from registering for the term.
If the error says consent of instructor required, then you will need to get a permission number from that instructor.
6. I’m trying to add a course and it’s telling me it doesn’t exist.
If the course you are adding has a discussion and lecture component, you must enter the discussion section first, and then add the class number of the lecture section under related components.
If this is NOT the case, contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.
7. I am unable to register for more than 3 courses.
Some students may be restricted to only 11 credits or less. If you are an undergraduate, contact the Undergraduate Education Office (LC 30) to see if you have such a restriction. If you are a graduate student and have been accepted into a part-time graduate program, you will not be able to register for more than 11 credits. If neither of these scenarios applies, please contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.
Any student wishing to register for more than 19 credits must seek approval of the Undergraduate Education Office or the Graduate Studies Office.
8. My permission number is not working.
Double check that you are entering the permission number correctly. Permission numbers expire after use, so you cannot reuse a permission number from a previous semester or one that has been used by another student. Additionally, if you add a class using a permission number, then drop the class, and then later decide you want to add the class again; you have to get a new permission number from the instructor.
The Registrar’s Office can verify whether the permission number you have is correct for the course. If the number is not correct, you must contact the instructor who issued you the permission number for a new one. The Registrar’s Office does not issue permission numbers.
9. Has my degree been awarded yet?
Check the degree conferral date on the academic calendar. Degrees will not be awarded before that date for the specific semester. If it is past the degree conferral date, you can look at your unofficial transcript on MyUAlbany. If the degree has been awarded, it will appear at the end of the transcript.
10. Why was my degree denied?
Contact the Registrar’s Office via email@example.com for assistance.
11. I have fixed my degree deficiencies, what next?
You will need to submit a new degree application in the term your requirements were completed. If you simply needed an exception to complete your degree, you will be able to graduate the term of your last enrollment. If you are finishing an incomplete grade, you will need to apply in the term in which you finished the incomplete grade. The paper application is available on the Registrar’s webpage (http://www.albany.edu/registrar/degree-application.php).
12. I finished my incomplete grade earlier but my professor did not hand my grade in on time to graduate. What do I do?
The professor will need to write a letter indicating the course requirements were completed before the actual commencement date of the term that you are trying to graduate in. If the professor has not handed the grade change in yet, he/she needs to write this on the actual grade change card and alert us to review your record for degree clearance again.
13. I have been cleared for my degree, when will I receive my diploma?
Students can view their diploma status via a link in MyUAlbany. Choose the Academics tab, and then click on “Check My Diploma Status” on the lower left side of the screen. In addition students will be sent an e-mail to their UAlbany email address when the diploma is mailed by our vendor.
14. The address where my diploma was mailed is wrong! What do I do?
Please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our staff will respond.
15. My diploma is incorrect! What can I do?
Please email email@example.com and indicate what exactly is wrong. One of our staff will research and respond. This is for issues such as incorrect degree type, incorrect name, missing Latin Honors, etc. This is not for incorrect addresses (see above question).
16. I satisfied my hold, can I have my diploma now?
Contact the Registrar’s Office. Make sure to check and update (if necessary) your name and address in MyUAlbany immediately.
17. I have two majors, why didn’t I receive two diplomas?
Only one diploma is issued regardless of the amount of majors and minors that are declared. In order to receive another diploma you would have to be admitted as a second bachelor’s degree student and complete another set of degree requirements (30+ credits).
18. I need to re-order my diploma, what do I do?
You may re-order your diploma here. Diploma re-orders are $25.
19. Why isn’t my major on my diploma?
The University lists degree type and Latin honors if applicable (for Undergraduates). Graduate students cannot receive Latin Honors (only undergraduate students).
20. There is a course on my audit that is not covering the right requirement. How can I get it moved?
If the course is in your major, your advisor needs to complete a DARS Exception Form and send it to the Registrar’s Office. If the course is in the minor, then you need to go to the department which sponsors the minor and ask for a DARS Exception Form to be completed and sent to the Registrar’s Office. If it is a General Education Requirement, see question 23 below.
21. My advisor did an exception for me but I don’t see it on my audit.
Check with your advisor to ensure that he/she sent the exception form to our office. If they have, contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.
22. I transferred in classes from another school and I do not see it on my audit.
Contact the institution sending the transcript to ensure it was mailed to us. If it was and a reasonable delivery time has elapsed, contact the Registrar’s Office. It is possible that we have not received your transcript from your previous institution, so courses will not have been posted to your audit.
23. Why isn’t my course covering a General Education Requirement?
The Office of Undergraduate Education fields all questions related to General Education Requirements. They are located in LC 30.
24. The anticipated graduation date on my enrollment verification is wrong. How can I get it changed?
You can complete a Request to Change Anticipated Graduation Date form. Your request will be completed within five business days of receipt of your request. Changes made to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) Enrollment Verification are not permanent and will default back to the anticipated graduation date calculated by our Integrated Administrative Systems database after regularly scheduled reports have been submitted to the NSC.
25. Can I request a copy of my official transcript which lists only my graduate coursework, despite also having completed undergraduate coursework at UAlbany?
No. The University at Albany adheres to the guidelines established by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), which state that the official academic transcript should reflect all courses, grades and degrees obtained from the University at Albany at the undergraduate and graduate level, if applicable. Therefore, you cannot order a transcript which only shows coursework completed at the graduate level if you've earned undergraduate credit at UAlbany (or vice versa).
26. What if my question is not addressed here?
Please contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some questions may be better answered by other University offices:
- For questions regarding financial aid, tuition/cost of attendance, and 1098-T forms, see the Student Financial Center.
- For questions regarding Summer and Winter sessions, see the Office of General Studies.
- For questions regarding health insurance, see the Student Health Insurance Plan.
- For questions regarding general education courses, see the Office of Undergraduate Education.
- For questions regarding undergraduates taking a leave of absence or returning from a leave of absence, see the Office of Undergraduate Education.
- For questions regarding graduate student enrollment, see Graduate Studies, specifically Graduate Student Resources.
- For questions regarding admission, contact Undergraduate Admissions or Graduate Admissions.
- For questions regarding AP/IB credit equivalencies, see Check AP/IB Credits.
- For help accessing MyUAlbany, contact the ITS Service Desk.
- For questions about the University graduation ceremony (not applying for graduation or requirements), contact University Commencement.
- For questions about your department graduation ceremony, contact your academic department.