The University at Albany Office of Parking and Mass Transportation Services offers charters through its Transit Services Unit. University Departments and authorized student organizations may charter University buses with drivers.
Charter Service Request Form
Please note the following:
- Transit Services grants charter requests on a first-come, first served basis as the availability of University buses allows.
- Wheelchair-accessible buses are available upon request.
- Charters are limited to a 50 miles radius of Albany
- University buses and drivers are not available to remain with charter groups for overnight trips.
- Charters may be arranged up to 6 months in advance.
- Chartering groups are required to have at least one contact person who will be either present or reachable by telephone during the operation of the charter.
Requesting a Charter:
- Departments with valid University at Albany account numbers should complete a charter request form and email Transportation Supervisor, Mike Koch at firstname.lastname@example.org. After emailing the charter request form, contact Mike Koch by telephone at 442-3421 to confirm receipt and to review the details of the charter request .
- After review Parking and Mass Transit Services will approve or decline the charter request and contact you by telephone or e-mail with the decision.
- Student organizations must contact Student Organization Account Services to receive authorization to request a charter with Parking and Mass Transit Services. If SOAS authorizes the student organization to request charter then SOAS will follow the requisition process described above.
- Service charges for charters are calculated at a flat hourly rate that includes the cost of the driver, vehicle and fuel.
- Weekday rate is $85 per hour per vehicle, with a minimum charge of 4 hours.
- Weekend rate is $100 per hour per vehicle, with a minimum charge of 4 hours.
- In addition to the hourly rate and minimum charge for chartering a vehicle and driver, the chartering group is responsible for any fees incurred during the charter, including road or bridge tolls, parking or storage fees, and admission fees for the driver (e.g., to facility that charges admission for each occupant of the vehicle, including the driver). Any of these costs must be paid by the chartering group at the point of sale. Drivers are not permitted to pay these costs.
- Chartering groups must provide Mass Transit Services with all appropriate and necessary directions, maps and itineraries prior to the day of the charter.
- Chartering groups must comply with the decision of the driver should they judge any area or structure to be is impassable by the bus.
Rules and Regulations:
- Neither smoking, nor electronic smoking devices, nor the possession of alcohol and other drugs is permitted on University Buses. Violation of this policy may result in instant termination of the charter.
- The driver should never be asked, encouraged, or pressured to break any law or circumvent policies.
- Drivers are responsible for safe operation of the bus. Passengers should not instruct the bus driver how to operate the vehicle.
- All locations must be accessible without requiring the driver to operate the bus in reverse gear.
- Drivers must adhere to on-duty limitations in accordance with Federal regulations.
- Drivers are supplied with phone numbers of a Transit Supervisor who will assist them as soon as possible in the event of an emergency such as a vehicle malfunction. Chartering groups are required to have at least one contact person who will be either present or reachable by telephone during the operation of the charter.