Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
The combination of trail-blazing research and high-quality education at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels have long made the University at Albany a national and international leader in atmospheric and environmental science.
Building on a foundation of research success, new industry collaborations offer exciting opportunities to accelerate and commercialize significant advances in weather and climate sensitive sectors.
A cornerstone of our research platform will be climate and environmental science, to which the University brings a rich R&D program. Our SUNY 2020 initiative will enable us to co-locate our skilled scientists and technology resources, already among the most advanced in the nation, including:
- A network of high-end graphical computers providing real-time atmospheric observations from around the world including satellite, radar, surface, upper-air, model forecast and lightning detection data.
- Access to the supercomputing facilities of the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) in Boulder, Colorado for use in research projects of truly intense computational nature.
- A state of the art Weather Map Room for research and teaching.
- Multiple field stations, including a powerful mountain top station at Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid, NY.
- Advance laboratory facilities, including a Sprinter Van Mobile laboratory, a pontoon boat for measuring over lakes and rivers, a high resolution Aerosol Mass Spectrometer. Laser Absorption Spectrometers for trace gas pollutants, and much more.
- The ASRC innovation lab will be a prominent feature in E-TEC that facilitates the creation of new tools in support of atmospheric research, as well as drives technology transfer from discovery to solutions for the public sector and commercialization.
Atmospheric Sciences Research Center (ASRC)
ASRC (or university) scientists perform world-class research to study the physical and chemical nature of the atmosphere. The Center serves to enhance the scientific capacity and infrastructure of New York State, leading to better understanding and prediction of air quality, climate and weather, through technology transfer and collaboration with state, federal and industrial partners, thereby advancing the quality of life, safety and economic well-being of its citizens.
Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences (DAES)
The educational mission of the University is embodied by the teaching and research of the talented faculty of DAES. The Department offers an internationally recognized graduate program, including both Masters and PhDs in Atmospheric Science. At the undergraduate level, the Department provides two distinctive degrees: a B.S. in Atmospheric Science, and a B.S. in Environmental Science.
Attracting Private Sector Collaboration
The University has worked to identify companies in environmental science as potential partners. Companies like Vaisala, AWS Truepower and Meso Inc. are all involved in aspects of environmental sciences or clean energy. E-TEC’s interdisciplinary “sandbox” will create new opportunities for these and other companies to collaborate with the University’s diverse group of researchers to foster new innovations and develop commercially viable opportunities.
To learn more about UAlbany's other NYSUNY 2020 research clusters, visit Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, Forensic Sciences and Cyber Security and Advanced Data Analytics.