Publications and Presentations
In addition to books, researchers and staff share findings with many different audiences.
- TESOL 2017 International Convention in Seattle, WA. Promising Practices for Elementary English Learners: A System-Wide Approach. Friday, March 24, 2017 by Kristen Wilcox at 3:00 PM in Grand Ballroom A, Seattle Convention Center.
- AERA 2017 Annual Meeting in San Antonio, TX. "Adapting to ESL Policy Changes in New York: A Study of Odds-Beating Schools" by Kristen Wilcox. See abstract here.
Recent NYKids Publications
- Narrowing the gap between teacher-student performance. On Board, February 2015.
- NYSASCD December 2014 issue of the journal Impact. Read several articles related to Poverty, Performance, and Practice in this special edition edited by Janet Angelis.
- The value of people, place and possibilities: A multiple case study of rural high school completion. Journal of Research in Rural Education, October 2014. Paper.
- University at Albany researchers identify ways schools succeed in graduating at-risk students. On Board, March 2014.
Recent NYKids Presentations
Getting Students in Poverty to Graduation and Beyond. Presentation for the Greater Southern Tier BOCES by Janet Angelis, November 2015.
- TOOLS to Build Capacity for Data-Guided Decision Making. Presentation for the Staff Development and Curriculum Network, June 2015.
Past Presentations & Publications
- Poverty and Performance in NYS: What Can We Learn from Best Practice Research? Presentation at NYSASCD Symposium, Turning High-Poverty Schools into High-Performing Schools, November 2014.
- The A,B,Cs of Graduating At-Risk Students on Time. Presentation at NYSSBA Annual Convention, October 2014.
- Beyond Personalization: Contrasting Approaches to Policy Changes in Two Rural Schools. Presentation at the American Education Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, April 2014.
- Wilcox, K.C. (2014, April). Innovations to Increase Native American Graduation Rates: A Case Study. Round table presentation at AERA Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- Graduating At-Risk Students on Time, presentation to the Data Analysis Technical Assistance Group, March 2014. Presentation slides.
Poverty and Its Effect on Students' Ability to Learn, NYSASCD and Capital Region BOCES Symposium, panel discussion, November 5, 2013. Presentation slides
Wilcox, K.C. (2013, April). Diversity, poverty and resilience: Results from a multiple case study of higher-achieving elementary schools. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA. Presentation slides
A Data-Driven, Research-Based Approach to Improving Practice: The NYKids COMPASS Tool, presentation to the Data Analysis Technical Assistance Group, July 2012.
Building Adaptive and Resilient High Schools, presentation to the National Center on Scaling Up Effective Schools, June 2012. Video (Panel 6, 0:15:23).
UAlbany identifies factors explaining higher performance among 'critical needs' elementary students. On Board
, May 2012.
The Impacts of a University Partnership on the Use of Research in School Improvement Efforts, presentation to the American Educational Research Association (AERA), April 2012.
Rallying Your Leadership Team: Putting Evidence-based Decision Making into Action, presentation to the National Association of Secondary School Principals, March 2012.
Using Data to Support Performance of Critical Needs Students, presentation to the Data Analysis Technical Assistance Group, October 2011.
Poverty, performance, and frog ponds: What best-practice research tells us about their connections. Phi Delta Kappan, November 2011. Abstract.