Contact the Office of Media Relations at (518) 956-8150
College of Computing and Information
Department: Computer Science
Information intelligence; tracking information about terrorists
Campus phone: (518) 442-2608
Campus email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of UAlbany's Institute for Informatics, Logics and Security Studies, Tomek Strzalkowski is an expert on information intelligence and tracking information about terrorists. He is building an automated question-answering system that will help analysts flesh out seemingly unrelated information surrounding a problem; when added together, these facts may yield hypotheses not considered before.
Strzalkowski's interests include natural language processing (NLP) and information processing and retrieval (IR). He has conducted research in the following areas:
Computational Linguistics: robust text processing, information extraction, fast parsing, semantic analysis and discourse processing.
- Information Retrieval: automated indexing, linguistic indexing, topic detection and tracking, spoken language filtering and retrieval, cross-lingual retrieval, interactive IR.
- Automated Summarization: automated abstracting, multi-document summarization.
- Open-Domain Question-Answering: automated question-answering from unstructured data.
- Interactive Dialogue Systems: dialogue modeling, spoken-language dialogues, human-machine conversation, semantics of automated dialogue, automated call centers.
- Knowledge Acquisition: corpus analysis, text mining, machine learning.
- Logic Programming: Logic grammars, reversible grammars.
- Artificial Intelligence: meaning representation.
- Computational sociolinguistics: leadership, influence and social dynamics in interaction, social media, and online games.