"I want to make the world a better place. I want to inspire other people like myself, who've faced adversity and persevered and continue to pursue their dreams," said senior Francelina Morillo.Read More
Emeritus Center Sharpens Intellect with Spring Series
February 17, 2010
UAlbany's Emeritus Center has "an American exclusive" to show The Last Station, a Russian documentary that chronicles the dramatic final days of Leo Tolstoy.
Protecting the privacy of retirees on social networking sites, a visit to the New York State Senate, and an exclusive showing of a Russian documentary are among the highlights offered by the University at Albany Emeritus Center this spring.
The center has "an American exclusive" on March 1 to show The Last Station, a documentary by the Russian filmmaker Galina Evtushenko that chronicles the dramatic last days of Leo Tolstoy. The film will be followed by a panel discussion featuring Toby Clyman, a Russian literature specialist; Luke Rhinehart, the legendary author of The Dice Man and a Tolstoy admirer; and Ray Ortali, a film historian, film critic, and another Tolstoy admirer. The local community will have the chance to compare the documentary with the international feature The Last Station that is showing at the Spectrum the same week.
"We have an exciting roster of talks, films and seminars this spring and a visit to the state Capitol,” said Emeritus Center President George Hastings. “What better way for retirees to stay connected to the University and to its vast resources for new ideas than to attend these Emeritus Center activities?"
- Feb. 22 at 2 p.m.: The Italian Straw Hat, a film by Rene Clair (1927).
- Feb. 25 at noon: Probing the Self group, led by Bill Reese, UAB 134. Sharpen your mind by understanding your brain.
- March 1 at 2 p.m.: The Last Station,UAB 433.
- March 9 at 2 p.m.: Henry Tedeschi on The Mitochondrial Saga: A Personal Account, UAB 134. Tedeschi joined the UAlbany Department of Biological Sciences in 1965.
- March 22 at 2 p.m.: Mr. Hulot’s Holidays, a film by Jacques Tati (1953).
- April 5 at 2 p.m.: A Concert with Max Lifchitz on Latin American Music, PAC B-78.
- April 12 at 2 p.m.: The Graduate, Mike Nichols (1967).
- May 4 at 2 p.m.: Senator Hugh Farley, Emeritus Center board member, has arranged a visit to the State Senate for the Emeritus Center.
- May 10 at 2 p.m.: Rhinoceros, a film with Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel (1973).
- May 18 at 2 p.m.: Marty Manjak on Protecting Your Privacy and PC from Online Threats, UAB 134. Concerned about on-line business transactions, the privacy of information posted on social networking sites, or the security of your home computer? Manjak is UAlbany's Information Security Officer.
In addition, the Memoir Group meets every other week to read and critique each other's autobiographical writing. Contact Illiana Semmler for details at (518) 439-6917.
The Emeritus Center is located in Room 134, UAB building (a Picotte building), 1215 Western Ave. The Conversation Series takes place in Room 134, and the Film Forum Series is shown in Room 433.
For more news, subscribe to UAlbany's RSS headline feeds