For UAlbany linguist and teacher Istvan Kecskes, the world is his classroom.Read More
Alumni Association Scholarships Showcase School Spirit
February 4, 2010
The University at Albany Alumni Association is accepting applications through March 8 for eight student scholarships, including three new "spirit" awards. (Photo Mark Schmidt)
"We are offering a new scholarship this year for three undergraduate students with outstanding school spirit," said Alumni Association Executive Director Lee Serravillo. "These scholarships are one more way to help maintain traditions and help our students complete their education."
The new spirit scholarship is valued at $1,000 and will be awarded to three UAlbany undergrads who show pride in and commitment to the University and its students.
In addition to the new spirit scholarships, five other scholarships are available. Applications are available online through the office of Financial Aid.
Albert N. Husted
- The Albert N. Husted Fellowship ($1,000) goes to a senior planning full-time graduate study in any discipline at the University or any other accredited university. Husted, a mathematics professor who taught until his death in 1912, is the namesake of Husted Hall on the Downtown Campus. An 1855 graduate of the State Normal School, he was a founder of the 44th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, which saw action in 17 Civil War battles.
- The Agnes E. Futterer Memorial Scholarship ($1,000) is given to a senior entering graduate study in theatre or a related field at UAlbany or another accredited institution. The Theatre Alumni Association created the fellowship in memory of Futterer, professor of English and drama at UAlbany from 1917 to 1959.
- The Bertha E. Brimmer Legacy Scholarship ($1,500), honors Brimmer, Class of 1900, an early executive director of the Alumni Association. This award is granted to a legacy, a current or incoming freshman or transfer student who is the child or grandchild of an alum.
- The Class of 1972 Scholarship ($750) is given to a graduating UAlbany senior planning to enter full-time graduate study at the University during the next academic year.
- The Ada W. Risley Memorial Scholarship ($500) is awarded to a UAlbany senior seeking a graduate degree in history. Created in 1946, it honors Risley, a professor of history at UAlbany from 1909-1939.
For more information, visit http://www.albany.edu/alumni/scholarships.php or call Melissa Samuels at 442-3083.
For more news, subscribe to UAlbany's RSS headline feeds