The Postclassic center of Mayapan was originally established around A.D. 1100, although the city reached its full development after A.D. 1200. From around A.D. 1300-1400, the city was plagued by violence, and the polity was less stable in the decades leading to its major abandonment in 1441-1461. The results of 36 new radiocarbon dates for the city have helped us to work out these chronological changes.
The first account of European exploration of Mayapan is that of John L. Stephens and Frederick Catherwood in 1841, who described and illustrated the principle pyramid, the Castillo of Kukulkan and the Round Temple and reported the city wall. Charles Brasseur de Bourbourg and Augustus Le Plongeon also visited and described the site in the late 1800's followed by Antonio García Cubas and Carl Sapper. In the early 20th century, Sylvanus Morley, Thomas Gann and other prominent Mayanists visited the site.