Congratulations class of 2004!
Sunday, December 5, 2004
Recreation and Convocation Center (RACC), 1:00pm
Information for: Students
| Faculty | Friends
& Family | General Information
for Students Participating in Winter Commencement
Congratulations! Please read below for information
pertaining to your Winter Commencement ceremony.
We hope you enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
• Graduates should arrive by noon for assembly
in the University gym in the Physical Education
Building. Graduates should expect to arrive and
fill out name reader card, receive a University
at Albany graduate pin, and lineup in the order
in which they would like to be seated. University
staff and volunteers will assist students with
• Tickets are not required for the ceremony –
seating is on a first-come first-served basis.
Doors will open at 11:30 a.m.
• The ceremony lasts approximately two hours,
and candidates will be recognized individually
as they cross the stage.
• Use this Graduation Checklist to help organize
• Commencement programs, listing August and December
2004 degree candidates who applied by the October
1st degree application deadline, will be distributed
at the December 5th ceremony.
• Proper academic regalia is required to participate
• This year, the Bookstore will sell souvenir doctoral regalia as well as bachelor’s and master’s regalia. Bachelors’, master’s and doctoral regalia can be purchased at the University Bookstore in the Campus Center between October 19 and December 5. There will be no rental regalia for doctoral students.
Bachelor’s regalia, full set, cap, gown and hood $64.98
Master’s regalia, full set, cap, gown and hood $65.98
Ph.D. regalia, full set, cap, gown and hood $80.98
• Bookstore hours:
Monday – Thursday, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday, 9:00am – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, Noon – 5:00 p.m.
• Bookstore info: 518/442-5695, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Degree applications should have been submitted
by this date. If your degree application is submitted
after this date, we will not guarantee that your
name will be in the December program. It will
be printed in the May program.
Bookstore begins taking orders for Ph.D. rental
regalia for faculty.
October 19 - December 5
Bookstore sells bachelor’s, master’s, and Ph.D. regalia.
Doctoral recipients for August and December 2003
must notify Judy Tarullo in the Office of Graduate
Studies (email@example.com) of plans
to attend Commencement.
Graduation Checklist (Available here as a PDF document)
This checklist is designed to take you through the necessary steps prior to Commencement. Congratulations on your achievements and good luck to you in the future!
- Be sure you are eligible to graduate! All students who received degrees in August 2004 and all candidates for degrees in December 2004 are invited to the Winter Commencement ceremonies.
- Submit your degree application for December 2004 online using MyUAlbany by October 1, 2004 (detailed instructions are available on MyUAlbany) or by visiting the Registrar’s Office. To submit your degree application, select the “Apply for Graduation” link from the Records Services Menu at the left side of your MyUAlbany home page.
- The academic records of undergraduate students who have applied for winter graduation will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Office. Those candidates whose cumulative records and current courses do not appear to meet all requirements for the degree will be notified as quickly as possible to permit correction before Commencement. Those who do appear to meet the requirements for the degree will not receive any notification. Degrees are not awarded until after final clearance when fall 2004 grades have been recorded.
- Degrees are awarded after final clearance, pending the satisfactory completion of the final term of study and/or fulfillment of all academic requirements. Candidates who fulfill all requirements for the degree can expect to receive their diplomas and final transcripts through the mail by late Januaryy. Candidates who have failed to complete all academic requirements by December or who have other matters requiring resolution will be notified in January. Undergraduates who have any unresolved grades (incompletes or missing grades) will not be cleared for the degree.
- Doctoral degree candidates should notify the Office of Graduate Studies of their intent to participate in the ceremonies by emailing Judy Tarullo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clear up any holds. A diploma can not be issued unless all financial obligations are cleared. Also, outstanding disciplinary actions can prevent your graduation.
- Become a Flag Bearer. Being a flag bearer is a memorable experience at graduation; you start the graduation ceremony, parading university and international flags. Flag bearers have the privilege of sitting in the front rows at graduation, so it will be easy to tell your families and friends where to look for you! If you are interested in commemorating your leadership and/or academic achievements at graduation by carrying a flag, contact Linda Wheeler by email at email@example.com. Include in your email your full name, degree to be earned, department or college or school issuing the degree, and your phone number. If you are an international student, please include the name of your home country.
- Purchase your academic regalia at the University Bookstore. For more information, go to www.albany.bkstore.com or call 518-442-5695.
- Proper academic regalia is required to participate in the ceremony.
- Bachelor’s, and master’s, and doctoral regalia can be purchased at the UAlbany bookstore in the Campus Center from Tuesday, October 19 through December, May 16.
- August 2004 graduates can reserve regalia by mail by writing to:
University at Albany Bookstore
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Attention: Christopher Ranc
(Or send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please include your name, phone number, address, height, weight, cap size and degree to be received from the University. Also, please advise if the regalia should be sent to you or if you will pick it up at the bookstore. All reservations must include a valid credit card number and expiration date.
- Charges for Academic Regalia:
- Bachelor’s (gown, hood, cap, tassel) purchase: $64.98
- Master’s (gown, hood, cap, tassel) purchase: $65.98
- Ph.D. (gown, hood, cap, tassel) rental: $80.98
The above prices do not include sales tax.
- Notify the Office of Advancement Events if your family has two or more generations of UAlbany alums (i.e. parents or grandparents and a current graduate). Email Michael Boots at email@example.com with your name, degree, local mailing address, local phone number, and email address. Also include your parents' or grandparents' names (maiden name too), their graduating year, their mailing address, phone number, and email address.
- Pay attention to your mail, as you will be receiving materials from the Office of Advancement Events. You do NOT need to tell the Office of Advancement Events that you are planning to attend December 5 ceremony.
- Use the web, the informative mailings, and university offices to find answers to any and all of your questions. If you have a more detailed question, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-442-5310.
for Faculty Participating in Winter Commencement
UAlbany encourages all faculty to participate
in commencement. It really shows the graduates and their families that you care about them and are proud of them.
Assembly and Processional
There are three ways for teaching faculty to
participate in Winter Commencement:
• Marching faculty
• Hooding faculty
• Faculty marshals
Regardless of your role, you should plan to arrive
at the University Gym in the Physical Education
Building for assembly by 12:30 p.m. on Sunday,
December 5. University staff will lead you through
the processional from the Gym to the RACC at 1:00
If you plan only to march in the ceremony (this
means you are not hooding a doctoral student or
volunteering in any way), please complete the
Commencement Attendance Form and return it to
Alumni House, Room 119. It is important that
you reach out to us so that we can plan for the
appropriate number of seats.
If you plan to hood a doctoral student during
the ceremony, please contact Jonathan Bartow at
518/437.5062 or email@example.com.
Faculty Marshals lead and direct the graduates
during the processional and assist in their expeditious,
orderly seating. They also help lead degree candidates
and faculty to the platform for individual degree
presentation and hooding.
All faculty marshals are also requested to attend
a one-hour commencement rehearsal in the week
preceding the ceremony. Specific details will
be provided directly to faculty members who agree
If you would like to participate as a Faculty
Marshal, please contact your dean. The deans will forward your information to the Commencement Office in late October.
Distinctive gold and blue academic regalia will
be provided for all Faculty Marshals. Please contact
Linda Wheeler at 442-5309 to be fitted for marshal’s
Regalia Rental Information
Members of the teaching faculty who wish to rent
academic regalia should visit the Bookstore or
complete the Faculty Cap and Gown Order Form by Friday, October 29 if you want to order a specific hood. All orders placed after October 29 will come with a UAlbany hood. All rental orders must be placed by November 15. This
is the last day to order Ph.D. regalia from the
The University covers rental charges for teaching
faculty members only. Please inform the Bookstore
of your affiliation when ordering. Distribution
of rented regalia will be December 1-4 at the
Bookstore. A Bookstore representative will collect
all rented regalia at the Physical Education Building
Gym directly following the ceremony on December
Remember that only marching or hooding faculty
need to rent regalia.
Questions regarding rental of regalia should
be directed to the University Bookstore by calling
for Family and Friends
Congratulations! You should be proud of the achievements
of your son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandson,
granddaughter, best friend, coworker… and the
list goes on.
Please use the links provided on this site to
find information on arrival times, parking, driving
directions, local hotels and restaurants, photography,
If you have a question that has not been addressed
on this site, please contact the Office of Advancement
Events at 518/442.5310 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you enjoy your Commencement experience!