Welcome back to a new semester! Classes begin August 29 with some new course offerings: POR150=Portuguese for Spanish Speakers, SPN205=Spanish for Bilinguals II, and two freshman seminars: Spanish in the US and Intro to Spanish/Latin American Films, all carefully planned to meet the needs of our students. A variety of club activities and other events are being planned, so stay tuned for great opportunities to meet and interact with others, learn something new and enjoy the richness of our languages, literatures and cultures! Check here on our website (for club info see www.albany.edu/llc/news&events_clubs_tables.shtml), Facebook or the LLC Office (HU235) for the latest. Hope to see you there!
The University at Albany’s Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures seeks a lecturer in modern Hebrew language to begin spring 2017. MA required. Send complete CV and cover letter to Hebrew Search Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: www.albany.edu/llc. UAlbany is an AA/EOE/IRCA/ADA employer.
9/26/16 – Emeritus Center talk: A Panel on The Importance of Humanities in Higher Education, with Jean François Brière, French Studies, Glyne Griffith, Chair, English Department, Former Chair Latin America, Caribbean and US Latino Studies, and Ilka Kressner, Hispanic and Italian Studies. Facilitator: Ray Ortali. All events are free and open to everyone. 1:30 to 4:00 pm, at the University at Albany Emeritus Center, room 134, UAB Building, 1215 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12003.
- Lotfi Sayahi has been promoted to the rank of Professor.
- Ilka Kressner has been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor.
- LLC proudly congratulates all our graduates this year for work well done and wishes everyone the very best as they head out for a bright new future. We invite everyone to stay in touch by sharing your email, connecting with LLC on Facebook, keeping in touch with faculty and sharing your adventures and success stories in our LLC Newsletter.
- Congratulations to all LLC scholarship winners this year who are granted these awards for academic excellence. Winners are:
Eleanor Bazzoni 1906 Fellowship Award- recognizes outstanding achievement in an undergraduate studying French or German
Michael Kriesberg & Oyenike Ilaka
Frank Carrino Memorial Scholarship- given to LLC junior or senior demonstrating outstanding academic performance
Guy A. Enfanto Memorial Award for Excellence- honors students demonstrating academic excellence in the field of French language or culture
Anthony M. Gisolfi Memorial Award- recognizes an academically outstanding major in Italian or Spanish who intends to pursue a teaching career
Teaching Assistant Excellence Award (Spanish)- recognizes outstanding teaching in the classroom and beyond by an LLC graduate student
Cecily Corbett & Nyssa Knarvik
- Please join the LLC Football (Soccer) Club for soccer games every Saturday this summer, at 10:30am behind the tennis courts on UAlbany’s perimeter road. New players at all skill levels are welcome! Email email@example.com to get on the email list in case we must cancel.
- Arnaldo Robles (SPN PhD) has accepted an Assistant Professor position at Shenandoah University.
- Spanish doctoral candidate, Cecily Corbett, was granted a Dissertation Research Fellowship Award to assist with completion of her dissertation and program.
As part of the “Connecting Classrooms” program, Lotfi Sayahi and students held teleconference with Tunisian students.
Spanish major, Katrina Abad, presented a paper at the UAlbany Undergraduate Research Conference 4/29/16
- Alejandra Aguilar and Jaime Mundo presented research papers at MACLAS 2016 (Middle Atlantic Council of Latin American Studies), which took place in early March at Temple University in Philadelphia. Dr. Aguilar organized the panel Literatura y humanismo: nuevas fronteras de la novela latinoamericana contemporánea, which discussed how contemporary authors have reshaped the boundaries of the novel to contest violence and social exclusion in present day Latin America.
- The Era Uma Vez (Once Upon a Time) project to motivate children to appreciate the Portuguese language and Luso-Brazilian culture began in February 2016. More about the project here.
Don’t miss LLC’s variety of language clubs and tables including: Deutscher Stammtisch, El Club de Español, La Pause Café, La DolceVita, Portuguese Club, Tavola Italiana, UAlbany Tango Club. See this page for meeting times during the academic year and more information. With the exception of the Tango Club, clubs and tables do not meet over breaks.
Complete your Spanish master’s degree in just 1 year!
- Check out some of the jobs available to those who study languages:
The 10 coolest jobs you can get learning foreign language.