Language Tables & Clubs - Newsletters - Area Events & Films - Archives - Photo Archives
News and Event Archive
- Cultural no Sul do Brasil (lecture in Portuguese) 4/27/17 6pm in HU354. All are welcome. Questions to Denise Osborne (email@example.com).
- Leonardo Correa's Doctoral Dissertation Defense will be WEDNESDAY 4/26/17 in HU354 830am. Open to faculty and graduate students.
- Meet Vladimir Vysotsky (1938-1980), Russia’s greatest bard, poet, cultural icon, and the voice of freedom for his generation, in the performance of singer/translator Vadim Astrakhan, who brings Vysotsky's passion to UAlbany in English translation.. LLC Seminar 4/26/17 3PM in the Performing Arts Center (PAC) Recital Hall (room 223). This instructional concert is free and open to the public. Co-sponsored by the Department of Music & Theatre.
- Join the Spanish Program for its Hispanic Film Festival 3 nights in April: 4/12/17 Vivir es Facil, 4/19/17 The Girl, and 4/26/17 Juan de los Muertos -- all at 6:30pm in HU354. Come and enjoy and participate in academic discussions led by Spanish faculty following each film.
- Cecily Corbett's Doctoral Dissertation Defense will be MONDAY 4/17/17 in HU354 3-5pm. Open to faculty and graduate students.
- The next Brown Bag Series in Spanish Linguistics is Friday 4/14/17 1-2pm in HU113. Prof Megan Solon will present “The L2 acquisition of sociophonetic competence: Exploring contexts of acceptance of and preference for /d/ deletion.”
- The Portuguese Program invites everyone to come enjoy the Portuguese Film “Estilo Hip Hop”and Q&A with Loira Limbal 4/12/17 at 2:45pm in HU354.
- The annual Russian Olympiada for high schools students will be 4/4/17 in the Campus Center. Questions? Contact Professor Sergay (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Olivia (Barone) Amzallag's Doctoral Dissertation Defense will be 3/31/17 in HU290 930-1130am. Open to faculty and graduate students. Discussion in Englsh.
- The Portuguese Language Club invites everyone to Trivia Night 3/30/17 at 6:30pm in HU290 (was moved from HU354).
- The Portuguese Program presents “What’s wrong with José? Traditional Storytelling in Brazilian classrooms” with Dr. Alandeom Oliveira on 3/29/17 at 2:45pm in HU354. All are welcome.
- German Club invites everyone to its film screening of Barbara(2012) "A doctor working in 1980s East Germany finds herself banished to a small country hospital." per IMDb, 3/29/17 730pm in HU354. Questions? Contact Professor Giguere email@example.com.
- Come enjoy the U Symphony Orchestra 3/26/17 3pm in the PAC Main Theater (Mendelssohn Symphony #5/Grieg Peer Gynt Suite #1), with our own Emeritus Profesor Charles Rouge performing. More info here.
- Era Uma Vez (Once Upon a Time), a project to encourage children to appreciate the Portuguese language and Luso-Brazilian culture, continues this spring, Satrudays 2pm on 2/18/17, 3/4/17, 3/25/17 & 4/8/17, in HU354 except 3/25/17 in HU290.. Learn more here.
All are welcome to the first Spanish Linguistics Brown Bag talk of the semester, Friday, 3/24/17 1-2pm in HU113. Jordan Lavender will give a talk on his research "The restructuring of clitic pronouns in Ecuadorian Spanish: An analysis based in data collected in Facebook Messenger."
- This year's Spanish Day, an immersion event for high school students in University in the High School Spanish classes, will be
3/24/17 in the Campus Center Ballroom. POSTPONED TO FALL 2017.
- LLC Seminar 3/20/17 1pm in HU354 with José del Valle (CUNY), "A glottopolitical reading of Spanish´s pluricentric norm."
- La Fête de la Francophonie (Francophone Day), an annual immersion experience for University in the High School French students from all across NY State, will be 3/22/17 in the Campus Center Ballroom. The event, showcasing all things related to French and Francophone cultures, will include a French-Canadian square dance open to the campus community 10:30a-12p in the CC Ballroom. Co-sponsored by UHS.
- Join the Portuguese Language Club for the showing of the Brazilian sci-fi film “3%” 2/23/17 6:30pm in HU354. All are welcome.
- “The Power of Dance Transforming Lives of Communities in Brazil” with Bárbara Carvalho on 2/22/17 at 2:45pm in HU354. The Portuguese Programs invites everyone to attend.
- German Club invites all to a film screening of The Edukators 2/15/17 7:30pm in HU354.
- Come learn about Soccer in Brazil with our own Luis Cuesta 2/15/17 2:45pm in HU354. All are welcome to this Portuguese Program event.
- LLC congratulates all December graduates on their achievements and many accomplishments while at UAlbany and wishes each student great success and happiness. Students, don't forget to keep in touch! The faculty enjoy hearing from you and all about your new adventures.
- Congratulations to Arnaldo Robles who successfully defended his dissertation “Examining the Role of Corrective Feedback on Learners' Modified Output of the Spanish Past Tense in Face-To-Face and Telecollaboration Contexts" this fall and graduated with his Spanish PhD this December.
- LLC Seminar Tuesday 12/13/2016 1pm in HU354, Daniel Erker (Boston University) "Islands of dialectal persistence in a sea of structural convergence: mapping contact outcomes in Spanish in Boston."
- Join the Spanish Club Thursday 12/8/16 in HU354 6-7pm for the Finals Study Session for Spanish. Spanish grad students will be available to help with any questions.
- The German Program invites all to a film showing of "Almanya Welcome to Germany," a film about multicultural issues Wednesday, 11/30/16 8pm in HU354.
- LLC Seminar Wednesday 11/16/2016 1pm in HU354, Juanamaría Cordones-Cook (University of Missouri) "Nancy Morejón and Her Havana.
- The Spanish Program invites all Tuesday evening 11/15/16 at 6pm in HU354 to a documentary screening and discussion with guest speaker Juanamaria Cordones-Cook (University of MIssouri) of Diago: artista apalencado A Maroon Artist. Diago is a contemporary Cuban artist.
- Italian Club hosts Scopa game night Tuesday 11/15/16 7pm in HU109
- Interested in playing soccer with the LLC Football Club? New players at all skill levels are welcome! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to get on the email list.
- Lotfi Sayahi has been promoted to the rank of Professor.
- Ilka Kressner has been promoted to the rank of Associate Professor.
- Spanish doctoral candidate, Cecily Corbett, was granted a Dissertation Research Fellowship Award to assist with completion of her dissertation and program.
Try some of LLC’s great variety of language clubs and tables including: Deutscher Stammtisch, El Club de Español, La Pause Café, La Dolce Vita, Portuguese Club, Português com café, Tavola Italiana and related clubs, UAlbany Tango Club and UAlbany Capoeira Club. For meeting times and more information, see this page. With the exception of the Tango Club, clubs and tables do not meet over breaks.
Commencement 2016: LLC hosted a recognition ceremony for its graduates on 5/14/16 at 4:00 pm in the Performing Arts Center Recital Hall. RSVP form for individual ceremony.
Italian Film and Conversation Night: Big Night: "A failing Italian restaurant run by two brothers gambles on one special night to try to save the business." (IMDB) 5/2/16, 6:00 pm, BA 233. In English.
La Dolce Vita sponsored a KAN-JAM tournament on 4/30/16 from 1:00-5:00 pm on Dutch Quad. contact: email@example.com.
LLC Football (Soccer) Club, Join LLC faculty and students for a low -key soccer game, 4/30/16, 10:30am, in the field behind tennis courts. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish major, Katrina Abad, will presented a paper in the 13th Annual University at Albany Undergraduate Research Conference, 4/29/16, 4:30 pm, LC 3B. Ms. Abad is doing her research this spring in Professor Lotfi Sayahi's Bilingualism and Spanish in the US class.
Hispanic Movie Night: 7:00 pm in HU 354 Relatos savajes 4/27/16. In Spanish with English subtitles.
LLC Seminar: Carol Klee, “Migration and its Linguistic Consequences: Quechua-Spanish Language Contact in Lima, Peru” 4/27/16, 1:00 pm, HU 354.
Hispanic Movie Nights: 7:00 pm in HU 354.Ocho apellidos vascos 4/20/16, In Spanish with English subtitles.
Portugese Club presented a panel discussion on curent events in Brazil. 4/14/16, 5:00 pm, HU 124
Hispanic Movie Nights: 7:00 pm in HU 354. Altiplano 4/13/16. In Spanish with English subtitles.
Deutscher Stammtisch (German Table) showed Almanya: Wilkommen in Deutschland (Almanya: Welcome to Germany) at 8:00 pm in HU 354 on 3/30/16.The film shows the story of three generations of Turkish immigrants in Germany. In German with English subtitles.
LLC Seminar: Graduate Student Presentations, Jaime Mundo- “Reading the Cyborg: Experiments in Subjectivity in El exilio según Nicolás” ; Arnaldo Robles- "Corrective Feedback: The Effects of Elicitations and Prompts on Modified Output" ; Komla Amegashie- “What do Ewe Dictionaries Contain?", 3/30/16, 1:00 pm, HU 290
As part of Francophone week, the French Studies Program had a screening and discussion of "Un Rêve Américain"
a documentary with Franco-Ontarian musician Damien Robitaille that seeks the French Canadian heritage in the US. 3/24/16, 7:00 pm, HU 354.
Francophone Day, 3/23/16, is a University in the High School sponsored event bringing participating high school students from across NY State to campus for a day of immersion in Francophone cultures, including music, dancing, food, and games in French.
Traditional Dance and Music of Quebéc & France, 3/23/16, 10:30-12:00, Campus Center Ballroom. Part of Francophone Week
Students, faculty and staff enjoyed Déjeuner français (en français) ! French cuisine at the Patroon Room. 3/22/16, 12:30-2:00 pm.with reserved seating at the tables where French was spoken! Part of the celebration of Francophone Week.
Italian Film and Conversation NIghts: Cinema Paradiso: "A filmmaker recalls his childhood, when he fell in love with the movies at his village's theater and formed a deep friendship with the theater's projectionist." (IMDB) 3/7/16, 6:00 pm , BA 233. In Italian with English subtitles.
Deutscher Stammtisch (German Table) showed the film The Promise (Das Versprechen) on 3/2/16, 8:00 pm, HU 354. East-Berlin, 1961, Konrad and Sophie plan a daring escape to Western Germany. Sophie is successful but Konrad remains behind. From then on, and for the next 28 years, Konrad and Sophie will attempt to meet again, in spite of the Iron Curtain.
Yuri and Natalia Shcherbakov, acclaimed Russian Folk Duo,performed folk songs including traditional Cossack tunes. They have a high-energy stage presence and songs that reveal how the traditions are being passed on to new generations. 2-23-16, 4:15 pm, HU 354 Free and Open to the Public
LLC Seminar: Marcy Schwartz
, "Publishing from the Ground Up: Urban Reading in Contemporary Latin America," 2/24/16, 1:00 pm, HU 290
Deutscher Stammtisch (German Table) will showed the film "The Comedian Harmonists", 2-16-16, 8:00 pm in HU 290. The film tells the story of the rise and fall of a vocal group that was wildly popular in Germany before it was disbanded in 1934 by the upcoming Nazis, because three of them are Jewish.
Internationally acclaimed conductor, Dr. Isaac Chueke (Escola de Música e Belas Artes do Paraná, Brazil) presented "Brazilian Rhythms-Traits of a Rich Culture," 2/10/16, PAC 213, 5:00pm. Co-sponsored by: Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures - Center for International Education and Global Strategy - Department of Latin American, Caribbean, and US. Latino Studies - Department of Music and Theater.
Italian Film and Conversation Nights: La Vita è Bella: "When an open-minded Jewish librarian and his son become victims of the Holocaust, he uses a perfect mixture of will, humor and imagination to protect his son from the dangers around their camp."(IMDB) 2/8/16, 6:00 pm, BA 233. In Italian with English subtitles.
LLC Seminar: Cynthia Fox, "Lost and Found: French in Western Ohio," 1/27/16, 1:00 pm, HU 354.
La Dolce Vita (Italian Club) had a Scopa Night! Scopa is an Italian card game and all were welcome to learn and play. Free pizza too! 12/8/15, 8:00 pm
LLC Seminar: Olimpia Pelosi (University at Albany): "Under Arachne's Sign. Weaving the Texture of Feminine Writing: Autobiography, Space, and Construction of the Literary Self in Gaspara Stampa (1523-1554) and Louise Labé (1524-1566)" , 12/2/15, 1:00 pm, HU 354.
German Club showed the film Joyeux Noel 12/1/15, HU 354, 7:30 pm. In English, French, German and Latin.
UAlbany Capoeira gave a demonstration of the art of capoeira followed by a film: The Assailant. "Based on the life of a legendary capoeira fighter from Bahia, "Besouro" spins a fantastic tale of a young Brazilian man of African descent in search of his mission." (from IMDB), 11/20/15, 2:00-4:00 pm, HU 354. Co-sponsored by the Brazilian Study Group.
LLC Seminar: Luis Cuesta (University at Albany): “The Sport Body in the Quest for Regaining Lost Youth in Wenceslao Fernandez Florez’s ‘El ladrón de glándulas¨ , 11/18/15, 1:00 pm, HU 354.
La Dolce Vita showed the film Cinema Paradiso, 11/17/15, 8:00 pm in HU 290.
Carmen Serrano gave the Keynote Address at a Romance Languages Symposium graduate student conference, Outbreak!/Breakout, at the University of Oregon, 11/14/15.
French PhD, Komla Amegashie, had his review of "Sens et signification dans les espaces francophones" published on Linguistlist.
Screening and Discussion of the Documentary Un Rêve Américan, Franco-Ontarian musician Damien Robitaille seeks the French Canadian heritage in the US. 11/7/15, 2:00 pm, Guilderaland Public Library. Co-sponsored by LLC and the Fédération Franco-Américaine du New York.
Deutscher Stammtisch showed the film Das Leben der Anderen- In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives. In German with English subtitles. 11/3/15, 7:30 pm in HU 354.
LLC Open House- 10/21/15, 12:00-2:00 pm in HU 354. Students came to learn about the courses, clubs and tables, majors and minors, the 9 languages LLC has to offer and more!
The Portuguese Language Club had it's first meeting on 10/21/15t at 8:00 pm in HU 354. All were welcome and food was served.
Film: Latinos Beyond Reel, presented by El Club de Español. 10/20/15, 7:00 pm, HU 354.They discussed the portrayal of Latinos in American media. Food was be served.
LLC Seminar: Andrès Enrique Arias (Univeristat de les Illes Balears, Spain): “Testing contact-induced change in Spanish of Mallorca. Insights from a historical perspective” , 10/14/15, 1:00 pm, HU 354. Co-sponsored by the Judaic Studies Program.
Film: Once Upon a Time at 55th and Hoover
, 10/14/15, 6:00 pm, HU 354. Q&A followed with director, Andrès Enrique Arias
(Univeristat de les Illes Balears, Spain Institution). "Once Upon a Time at 55th and Hoover
is a short documentary film that tells the story of the Sephardic Jews from the island of Rhodes who arrived in Los Angeles in the first half of the 20th century and established a community in the area around 55th Street and Hoover, what is today South Central Los Angeles." (from http://www.55thandhooverfilm.info/
La Dolce Vita showed the film Goodfellas and discussed stereotypes of the mafia and the impact it has on Italian Americans in today's society. 10/13/15 7:00 pm, HU 290.
Deutscher Stammtisch showed the film Der Untergang (Downfall), The film depicts Hitler's final 10 days in his Berlin bunker at the end of WWII. 10/13/15, 8:00 pm in HU 354.
Deutsche Stammtisch showed the film Im Juli on 9/15 in HU 354, 8:00 pm.
LLC Seminar: Francisco Moreno-Fernández (Instituto Cervantes at Harvard University): “El español en los Estados Unidos”, 9/16/15 at 1:00 pm in HU 354. This lecture was in Spanish.
.It is with a heavy heart that LLC shares the loss of Russian Emerita Professor Sophia Lubensky. In Memoriam
PhD student, Jaime Mundo (Spn), had an abstract accepted for the Hostos Scholar Colloquium sponsored by Hostos Community College, CUNY as part of the activities celebrating 175 years of the birth of the Puerto Rican educator and writer, Eugenio María de Hostos. The title of the presentation is "La función del juego imaginativo y la fantasía 'En barco de papel'".
Doctoral student, Victor Lucio (Spn), recently published a book review of “Women, Men and Everyday Talk” on Linguistlist.
Spanish PhD student, Jordan Lavender, published his book review of "The Acquisition of Sociolinguistic Competence in a Lingua Franca Context" on Linguistlist.
Spanish PhD student, Cecily Corbett (Spn), has published a review of the book "Research Methods in Sociolinguistics" on Linguistlist.
Doctoral student Arnaldo Robles (Spn) published his review of the book "Translation in Language Teaching and Assessment" on Linguistlist.
Doctoral student, Benjamin Mielenz (Spn) spent the summer of 2015 in Turkey studying on a full Critical Language Scholarship from the U.S. Department of State. See the UAlbany article here.
PAST AREA EVENTS
4-23-16 - Yves Lambert Trio
- "Yves Lambert figures among the most influential players in the roots Quebecer revival. He is known for his unique ability to translate anecdotal, poetic, or political texts into songs. His work as a songwriter and his capacity to create unique musical moods make him a key figure in folk music production." (from Old Songs Music
) 7:30 pm, Old Songs Community Art Center, 37 South Main Street,
Return to main page News & Events
Top of page