Language acquisition and cultural knowledge go hand-in-hand. Communicating in another language involves not only learning to use the lexicon and grammatical structures appropriately, but also understanding a community's cultural history, social patterns, and most important literary and artistic products, understanding how that language’s users think, feel, and view the world. LLC offers a wide range of courses that provide students an enhanced communicative ability in another language with a knowledge and appreciation of the various cultures specific to its speakers. LLC is committed to bringing the "World Within Reach" for UAlbany students.
LLC offers the following:
Spanish MA in 1 Year
Spanish Combined BA/MA
Majors: Spanish (French, Italian and Russian are not currently accepting new majors, see below)
Minors: French, Hebrew, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
and also courses in: Arabic, German, Latin, and Languages Literatures and Cultures (LLC courses combine languages/cultures and are taught in English)
Students wishing to major in French, Italian or Russian Studies may do so by declaring a student-initiated interdisciplinary major as below.
Student-initiated Interdisciplinary Major
Students cannot declare a new major in FRE, ITA or RUS at this time, however students may individually request the creation of a student-initiated interdisciplinary major in these areas. Interested students should contact a faculty member in the language program of interest to begin the process as soon as possible. Contact the LLC office at 442-4222 or 442-4100 if questions.
- a minimum of 36 credits for majors and 18 credits for minors
- at least one course outside the language of interest (should be supplemental the major/minor language coursework)
- 1 language faculty sponsor for the minor or 2 faculty sponsors for the major (one in the language program and one in another department in which the student is taking coursework for that degree)
- a written proposal from the student with a proposed schedule of classes to be taken to complete the degree (for courses currently being offered: http://www.albany.edu/registrar/schedule_of_classes.html, for courses available at the university: http://www.albany.edu/undergraduate_bulletin/cas.html -- not all courses are offered every semester--check with the departments about upcoming offerings)
- a rationale from the student for why a separate student-initiated interdisciplinary degree is needed and why these courses were chosen
- then the completed proposal must be submitted to Undergraduate Studies in LC30 to be reviewed and approved by the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee
The PhD Foreign Language Translation Exam
The PhD Foreign Language Translation Exam is offered twice each year (November and April). Frequently asked questions
about the exam and Guidelines f
or the exam are available at these links. Information on the Advanced Competency Exam
for English PhD students is also available.
The next exam will be held April 9, 2014. More information here.