Community Partners in Journalism
Since its founding in 1973, the Journalism Program has developed an extensive network of alumni and friends throughout the Capitol District, New York
State, and elsewhere in the nation. Our students benefit greatly from these contacts when applying for internships and jobs.
The Program is advised by an external Board of Advisors, appointed by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The Board includes journalists,
editors, writers, producers, and publishing industry veterans. Members include Robert J. Bellafiore, '82, partner and director of public affairs, Eric
Mower and Associates; Alan Chartock, president and CEO, WAMC/Northeast Public Radio and professor emeritus, University at Albany; Edward Dague, anchor
emeritus, WNYT-TV; Stewart F. Hancock, III, president, Hancock Public Affairs, LLC; Diane Kennedy, president, New York Newspaper Publishers
Association; Marc Z. Kramer, '77, CEO, New York Daily News; Susan Pinkus, '68, director of polling, Los Angeles Times; Michelle K. Rea, executive
director, New York Press Association; Rex Smith, editor, Albany Times Union; and Monte I. Trammer, publisher, Elmira Star Gazette.
The Program is always interested in hearing from former students and friends. Please follow us on Facebook or Twitter or contact us in Albany.
The Program also helps many students each semester find internships. A partial list of recently filled positions includes:
- Newspaper or News Wire Services -- Albany Times Union, Albany Enterprise, The Daily Gazette of Schenectady,
Legislative Gazette, Metroland, The Saratogian, Troy Record, Gannett News Service, Berkshire
Eagle (Pittsfield, Mass.), The Business Journal (Rochester), Chronogram (New Paltz), Daily Messenger
(Canadaigua), Journal-News (Gannett - Westchester County), Lake George Mirror, Middletown Times Herald Record, Utica
Observer-Dispatch, Poughkeepsie Record, New York Daily News, Queens Chronicle, Jerusalem Post.
- Magazines, Specialized Publications, Book Publishers -- American Journal of Nursing, ArtVoice (Buffalo), The
Bulb (London), Capital Region Living, Chronogram (New Paltz), The Conservationist (NYS Department of Environmental
Conservation), Metroland, National Trade Publications, OverIt Media, SUNY Press, Thomson Delmar Publishers, Whitson Publishers.
- Broadcast TV, Cable TV, Radio -- WRGB Channel 6, WTEN Channel 10, WNYT Channel 13, Fox 23 News, YNN (Your News Now - Channel 9), WAMC
Northeast Public Radio, WROW-AM, ABC News Long Form Division (news magazine length), CBS News Radio, ESPN Radio, Fox News Network (NYC), Fox News 5
(NYC), MTV / VH-1, New York Network, Sports Net (NYC), WROC-TV (Rochester), www.944.com (Phoenix TV)
- Photojournalism -- Berkshire Eagle (intern won New England Press Association 1st place award), Daily Gazette of
- Public Relations Agencies -- Communications Associates, E3 Communications, Eric Mower & Associates, Howard Schaffer Media Marketing,
Living Resources Health Care, Pierce Communcations, Sawchuk Brown Associates, Bentley-Hall Inc.(Syracuse), Island / Def Jam Records, Joseph Abboud
Fashion, Pyramid Management, Shady Records.
- Governmental and Public Bodies -- UAlbany Communications & Marketing, Albany Police Department, Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial
Office, New York Senate Media & Communications Office, NYS Public Service Commission, Sen. Kristen Gillibrand (Saratoga Office), SUNY Central Public
Relations, Phoenix Regional Sports Commission.
- Advocacy Media Relations -- Albany Community Action Partnership, Albany Institute of Art, Community Gardens of Troy, Downtown Albany