JRL News Archive
The following list is an archive of news related to the Journalism Program:
Tuesday, 9/29/15: Prof. Nancy Roberts published an op-ed piece on social activist and pacifist Dorothy Day one day after Pope Francis named her as one of four notable Americans in a speech before Congress. Right Wing commentators were furious at the inclusion of Day, whom they consider a Communist. Roberts who has researched and written extensively about the founder of the Catholic Workers’ newspaper set the record straight.
- Fall 2015: Prof. Elaine Salisbury is writing science/environment stories for the Watershed Post, a weekly that covers the Catskill region. See some of her work here and here
- Fall 2015: Prof. Thomas Bass has been appointed a founding board member of the Museum of Political Corruption which explores New York State's history of political corruption and those mechanisms that have allowed corruption to flourish.
- Monday, 6/22/15: Professor Nancy Roberts' article, "Meridel Le Sueur, Dorothy Day, and the Literary Journalism of Advocacy During the Great Depression" was recently published in Literary Journalism Studies (Vol. 7, No. 1, Spring 2015, pp. 44-57). Read the article here.
- Tuesday, 4/21/15: UAlbany Journalism alumna Crystal Baumes '14 joins the Times Union newsroom staff full-time as an editorial designer.
- Monday 2/9/15: Professor Thomas Bass publishes an editorial in The Washington Post and a 13-part series in Index on Censorship.
Fri 1/26/2015: Professors Rosemary Armao and Thomas Bass led journalism workshops for master’s students at the Tunisian Press Institute in January 2015. The UAlbany Journalism Program and the Organized Crime and Corruption Program of southeast Europe have been working together under a U.S. State Department grant for three years to develop one of the first graduate programs in investigative reporting in the Arab World.
- Tues 11/25/2014: Professor Nancy Roberts publishes her keynote address about literary journalism scholarship: Nancy L. Roberts, “Firing the Canon: The Historical Search for Literary Journalism’s Missing Links,” Keynote address, International Association for Literary Journalism Studies, Toronto, Canada, May 2012, Literary Journalism Studies, vol. 4, no. 2 (Fall 2012), pp. 81-94. Click here. And here is the response: John Tulloch, “Kicking the Canon in the Breeches,” Literary Journalism Studies, vol. 4, no. 2 (Fall 2012), pp.95-99.
- Wed 4/9/2014: Professor Thomas Bass has an article published in the Daily Beast. The Daily Beast
- Wed 1/8/2014: Former Journalism Program Editor-In-Residence and beloved teacher Don Forst passes away at 81. Times Union | NY Times | Fox News
- Thu 11/21/2013: Thomas Bass publishes op-ed in The Washington Post
- Wed 10/9/2013: Celebrate the 40th anniversary of UAlbany's Journalism program on Wednesday, October 10th with prize-winning author William Kennedy
- Sat 6/22/2013: Journalism prof Thomas Bass publishes an article in The Atlantic on politics and religion in Tunisia
- Mon 3/14/2013: Journalism Program student Eric Krupke posts an audio report from Rosemary Armao's broadcast class.
- Thu 2/14/2013: Journalism Program student Christopher Kear has article published inTimes Union.
- Fri 2/1/2013: Journalism Program graduate Wenwen Ren screens her 40-minute documentary, "500 Kilometers to Summer," about migrant workers' children in China, at the NYU News and Documentary film festival on February 9, 2013.
- Thu 11/15/2012: UAlbany Journalism alum Erin Pihlaja, a writer for Metroland, talks about careers in Journalism.
- Fri 11/9/2012: Journalism prof Steve Barnes talks about lap dances, art on The Colbert Report.
- Wed 11/7/2012: UAlbany, Tunisia partner in Journalism program
- Mon 9/10/2012: Oprah describes Professor Laney Salisbury as having written "one of this summer's best books."
- Mon 9/10/2012: In May, Nancy Roberts gave the keynote address in Toronto at theInternational Association for Literary Journalism Studies. In March, she moderated a panel at the Joint Journalism and Communication Historians annual meeting in New York City. Since Fall 2011, she has been the book review editor for Literary Journalism Studies.
- Mon 9/10/2012: Thomas Bass writes for The Huffington Post and Tablet.
- Mon 9/10/2012: Emeritus professor William Rainbolt makes a movie on mummies.
- Thu 11/3/2011:
Rosemary Armao wins international investigative reporting award.
- Tue 9/6/2011: Rosemary Armao blogs for the Albany TU and co-hosts "The Media Project" at WAMC
- Wed 6/15/2011:
UAlbany JRL student anchors news for major New York TV channel
- Wed 6/8/2011:
Graduation Ceremony 2011
- Tue 9/21/2010: Rosemary Armao to be featured speaker at news conference in Washington DC
- Fri 7/30/2010:
Rosemary Armao writes groundbreaking report for NED
- Sat 7/10/2010:
JRL students make news
- Wed 5/26/2010:
Rosemary Armao profiles Don Forst for the TU
- Thu 5/13/2010:
Jon Campbell, '10, talks about the ASP
- Mon 5/10/2010:
Rosemary Armao appears on The Media Project (WAMC)
- Wed 5/5/2010:
2010 Journalism Program award winners
- Fri 4/30/2010:
35th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War
- Tue 4/13/2010:
Q & A with author Ryan Smithson
- JRL student Samantha Irvin profiled on UAlbany website
- Fri 3/26/2010:
- Tue 3/9/2010:
Chancellor Zimpher speaks to AJRL 499 Senior Honors Project in Journalism Students
- Thu 1/21/2010:
Cristina Rodriguez-Ruiz covers student life for the Times Union
- Fri 12/4/2009:
Jayson Blair speaks to UAlbany JRL students
- Ethics and Excellence in Journalism