News & Events
Tax Information for International Students & Scholars
All international students and scholars who were in the US in 2014 must submit a tax form. The form(s) you submit will depend upon your individual situation.
Carefully read through the Tax Information Sheet for details.
- Form 8843: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8843.pdf
- Sprintax: https://sprintax.com/suny-albany
- US Federal government:www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Students-and-Scholars
- NY State government: www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm
- Non-resident students should not use software or tax services designed for US citizens. This would include services such are TurboTax, H&R Block, etc. These services are not designed to include the tax treaties that apply to most international students
- You must get a code from ISSS if you wish to use Sprintax.
- It is important that receive help that is appropriate to your status as a Non-Resident, unless you have been in the US long enough to be considered a resident for tax purposes.
- Tax Returns must be postmarked by midnight on April 15. Form 8843 is due June 15.
Join the International Friendship Partners Program
International Friendship Partners is BACK! Sign up for more opportunities of language & cultural exchange with students from all over the world!
New this semester: You can EARN CREDITS with our program!
It's a rewarding experience to learn about new cultures and share your own with your international UAlbany peers. Click to view the application.
Host Families Needed
Host families are needed for a few days in January 2015 for our new international students while they seek permanent housing.
Click to get more information about the program and to print out your application.
New U.S. CBP Automated I-94 System
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has begun its new automated I-94 arrival/departure record system. As international students, you will still receive an I-94. However, it will not be in the form of a small, white card stapled into your passport at the time of entry that many of you are used to. Instead, you will have an electronic I-94, which you will have to download and print from the CBP web site.
Please remember that ISSS needs a copy of any new documents you have been issued, including the I-94. Once you print out the new record, please provide a copy to ISSS.