News & Events
Tax Information for International Students & Scholars
All international students and scholars who were in the US in 2015 must submit a tax form. The form(s) you submit depend upon your individual situation.
Carefully read through our Tax Information Sheet for details.
- Form 8843: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8843.pdf
For those who did NOT work in 2015
- Sprintax: www.sprintax.com/suny-albany
For those who DID work in 2015
- US Federal government: www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Students-and-Scholars
- NY State government: www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/nonresidents.htm
- Non-residents should not use software or tax services designed for US citizens. This would include services such are TurboTax, H&R Block, etc. These services are not designed to include the tax treaties that apply to most international students.
- If you had income in 2015, you must get a code from ISSS if you wish to use Sprintax.
- If you had no income in 2015, you should not use Sprintax and will complete only form 8843.
- It is important that receive help that is appropriate to your status as a Non-resident, unless you have been in the US long enough to be considered a resident for tax purposes.
- Tax Returns must be postmarked by midnight on April 18, 2016.
- Form 8843 is due June 15, 2016.
Be an International Friendship Partner next semester!
The International Friendship Partners is a series of programs designed to help both American and international students make friends with each other. Participants will also learn different cultures and languages through cultural activities. You can choose to participate in one or more programs listed below:
International Buddies Program: You will be helping new international students adjust to academic and community life at UAlbany.
Language & Cultural Exchange Program: The International Friendship Partners Program is designed to provide an opportunity for U.S. and international students to interact regularly on a small group basis outside of the classroom setting.
Community & Public Service Program: You can take RSSW 291 (2 credits) for meeting friends and doing cultural activities! Please find program syllabus in application.
For more information and apply to be an International Friendship Partner, CLICK HERE
U.S. CBP Automated I-94 System
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has begun its automated I-94 arrival/departure record system. As international students, you will still receive an I-94. However, it will not be in the form of a small, white card stapled into your passport at the time of entry that many of you are used to. Instead, you will have an electronic I-94, which you will have to download and print from the CBP web site.
Please remember that ISSS needs a copy of any new documents you have been issued, including the I-94. Once you print out the new record, please provide a copy to ISSS.