The Institute for Mesoamerican Studies regularly hosts guest lectures and organizes events related to interests of the university and local community. You can catch up on some of our past talks on our Youtube Channel. If you would like to share with us your current Mesoamerican research, please feel free to contact us. .
Upcoming calendar: Spring 2014
- April 11th: Leigh Binford (College of Staten Island) "Human Rights and Transitional Justice in El Mozote Massacre". Meet us at 2 pm in room HU 354.
- April 12th: Day of Triqui Culture in the Capital District, UAlbanyy Assembly Hall (Campus Center), 6 to 8 pm.
Past speakers include:
- February 28th: Jeanne Simonelly (Wake Forest University) "Zapatistas: Twenty Years of Building Community".
- Anthony Aveni (Russell B. Colgate Professor of Astronomy and Anthropology), "Calendrics, Astronomy, and Math at the "Xultun Institute of Advanced Study."
- Marilyn Masson (UAlbany & IMS) and Bradley Russell (Saint Rose College, IMS, National Geographic), "Anthropogenic, Economic, and Sacred Landscape Studies at Mayapan, Summer 2013."
The Department of Anthropology, University at Albany also hosts lecture series:
- NutMeg: The Northeast Mesoamerican Epigrapy Group; contact John Justeson for more information.
- Archaeology Institute of America Lecture Series (contact Stuart Swiny for more information).
- The Center for the Elimination of Minority Health Disparities sponsors events and activities throughout the year.