Housing Signup FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I required to live on campus?
- Freshmen and sophomore students are required to live on campus. If you were admitted as a freshmen student in Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, you must sign up for a 2016-2017 housing assignment. If you believe you are exempt from this policy, you must submit an Application for Exemption (must be approved to be exempt).
- When do I sign up for housing?
- The 2016-2017 Housing Sign Up Process begins on February 4th when the housing applications go live. You must complete your housing application in order to receive a Housing Sign Up date and time, which is the date and time when you will be able to select your housing assignment. After completing the application, your selection date and time will be available online by clicking on the 'My Home' link in your housing application.
- How are sign up dates and times determined?
- Dates and times are determined by your class year and the number of credits you have. If you believe that your date and time is incorrect, you can email: HSUP@albany.edu.
- How do I select my roommates and/or suitemates?
If you would like to live with specific students, you must list them on you housing application, and they must list you on their housing application. You will need each other's NetIDs and Last Names in order to complete the request process, and confrim one another on the housing application.
If you are looking for a roommate or suitemate, you can utilize a free matching tool called Room Surf. When you log in, you will need to enter the following code: UA1844
- How do I pay my housing deposit?
You must pay the housing deposit before your Housing Sign Up date and time. The housing deposit it $125 and can be paid via EPay - Simply login to EPay, select eDeposits, Fall 2016, and Housing Deposit. The deposit will be credited toward your room charges.
If you cancel your housing assignment prior to April 29, 2016, your housing deposit will be refunded.
- Where can I find more information about different room types?
- Please see the Phase 1 and Phase 2 web pages.
- What do I do if I am currently studying abroad or living off campus?
- If you are currently studying abroad or living off campus, but currently enrolled as a University at Albany student, you should email Residential Life at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your Housing Application activated. Then, you can simply follow the same process as any other student.
- Can someone else sign me up during my assigned date and time?
Students are responsible for signing themselves up for housing. The Department of Residential Life will not sign up students via email or over the phone. You will be able to sign up any time after your date and time has been activated before your Housing Sign Up phase (Upperclassmen Sign Up or current Freshmen Sign Up) concludes. However, since housing is available on a first-come, first-served basis, you will want to sign up as close to your date and time as possible!
If you are signing up with other students, the student with the earliest date and time can sign up the pair/group. The students with the earliest date and time must be able to login to the Housing Sign Up system to complete the process on behalf of the pair/group. The other members still have to confrim the roomate request.
- What are my housing options as a current freshmen?
- As a current freshmen, you can sign up for a room on Alumni, Colonial, or Dutch Quads. You may also be able to sign up for a room on Freedom Apartments if space is still available after the Upperclassmen Sign Up phase.
- What are my housing options as a current sophomore, junior, or senior?
- As a current sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student, you can sign up for a room on Alumni Quad, Freedom Apartments, Liberty Terrace, or Empire Commons.
- How do I know if I am eligible to live on University Apartments (Empire Commons, Liberty Terrace, Freedom Apartments)?
- You must have at least 56 academic credits or be 21 years or older to be eligible to live on University Apartments. If you believe you are eligible, but did not receive a Housing Sign Up date and time during the Upperclassmen Sign Up phase, you must email HSUP@albany.edu.
If Freedom Apartments does not fill during Phase 1: Upperclassmen Sign Up, current freshmen may be able to sign up during Phase 2: Current Freshmen Sign Up. br>
- What if I only need housing for the Fall 2016 semester?
- Your housing assignment is active for the entire 2016-2017 academic year. If you leave for any reason at the end of Fall 2016, you must complete a Release Application. See the application for details about acceptable reasons and documentation that is required.
If you are living on Empire Commons, you will be subject to a $400 license termination fee if you release from housing at the end of Fall 2016. (See the Residential Life License for details.) br>
- How will I know that I successfully completed Housing Sign Up?
- After completing the Housing Sign Up process, your housing assignment will be listed in the 'My Home' link in your housing application.
- I am a student who needs to stay on campus during University breaks. Where can I live?
If you need to stay on campus during University breaks, you need to sign up for a room in a building that has recess housing or University Apartments.
If you are a current freshmen who is an international student or student-athlete, you can sign up for recess housing during Special Interest Housing Sign Up. (See the Special Interest Housing page for details.)
- I am an Honors College student. What are my housing options?
- For Fall 2016, 2nd year Honors Students can sign up for Melville Hall and 3rd and 4th year Honors Students can sign up for Empire A1 & A2 Honors Apartments during Special Interest Housing Sign Up.
- I am a student-athlete. What are my housing options?
- If you are a current sophomore, junior, or senior, you can sign up for Freedom Apartments during Special Interest Housing Sign Up on 2/22. If you choose not to live in any of the living areas specified above, you can sign up for any other room that you are eligible for during your regular Housing Sign Up date and time.
- I am interested in Gender Inclusive Housing . What do I need to do to sign up for that?
- Recognizing that single-gender housing may not be appropriate or comfortable for all students, Residential Life offers a limited number of rooms as Gender Inclusive Housing in both the residence halls and apartments on a space available basis. Students signing up for these areas will be permitted to have roommates and suitemates from across the gender spectrum. Gender Inclusive Housing will allow for an environment where student housing is not restricted by traditional limitations presented by our current system, which is based on the gender binary. We believe that it is important that our housing policies evolve to meet the needs of all students and to create an inclusive, welcoming environment. For 2016-2017, Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) will be able on Colonial Quad and Empire Commons. If you are interested in signing up for GIH, you must complete the Gender Inclusive Housing Supplemental Agreement - Fall 2016-Spring 2017 form on MyInvolvement. The form must be submitted and approved by February 19th at 4pm.
- I have a medical need that requires me to live in a particular type of housing. How can I make sure I get that type?
- Students with a medical need for a particular type of housing must have their medical need documented by Student Health Services or the Disability Resource Center. Proper documentation must be renewed each year and forwarded to Residential Life prior to Special Interest Housing Sign Up
- Can I sign up with friends during Special Interest Housing Sign Up?
- Students signing up for medical reasons may sign up with a roommate. All other special interest groups may not sign up with other students who are not part of their special interest group. For more details, see the Special Interest Housing page.
- What do I do if there is not enough space available in a room/suite/apartment to accommodate all of my requested roommates/suitemates?
- If you cannot find a room, suite, or apartment with enough vacancies to accommodate your pair/group, you must sign up for housing separately during your individual Housing Sign Up dates and times.
- What can I do if I didn't get the type of housing assignment I wanted?
- If you are not satisfied with your housing assignment and wish to be placed on a waiting list for a different type of accommodation, you must contact email@example.com to submit your request to be added to the waiting list.
- I lost internet/my computer froze during Housing Sign Up. How do I know if I got the room I wanted?
- Check the 'My Home' link in your housing application. If your housing assignment is listed, you are all set. If it is not listed, you need to try again.
- Can I change my room assignment after I select it?
- You cannot change your room assignment after you select it. You can, however, be added to a waiting list if you would like to request a different housing type of accommodation.
- How do I make room changes within my suite/apartment?
- If your suitemates are assigned to the wrong bedrooms, the students who want to switch need to email: HSUP@albany.edu to request the switch. All students involved in the switch need to send an email to confirm the request.
- I missed my Housing Sign Up date and time. What do I do now?
- You have until March 8th to sign up for housing through the Housing Sign Up process. If you miss the entire process, you need to email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your housing options will be very limited, but you will have the option of being placed on a waiting list for your desired housing type.
- How do I cancel my assignment after Housing Sign Up?
- You must complete a Housing Cancellation Form and submit it to the Department of Residential Life in order to cancel your housing assignment. You have until April 29, 2016 to cancel your 2016-2017 housing assignment and receive a refund for your housing deposit. After that date, you will not receive a refund for your housing deposit.
- Who do I contact if I have questions about Housing Sign Up?
- Prior to Housing Sign Up, you can email: Residential Life or call 518-442-5875. During Housing Sign Up, you can email: HSUP@albany.edu or call 518-442-2928.
- What do I do if if I can't see the color-coded availability on the floor plan in ResCenter?
- Refer to the following troubleshooting guides for assistance: Mozilla Firefox or Chrome