Jean McLaughlin is the Honors College/ Assessment Librarian at the University at Albany. She earned her M.S. in Library and Information Science from Drexel University and has worked in health sciences and academic libraries. As Honors College Librarian, Ms. McLaughlin provides reference services, group and one-on-one instruction to honors students, and consultation with professors teaching honors courses.
In addition to more than 9 years as a librarian, Ms. McLaughlin has 18 years of experience in the software development industry as a manager, analyst, and technical writer. Accomplishments include work in process improvements, software and Web usability, content management systems, and electronic publishing. All her roles matched people and information using the best technologies for information access.
Take advantage of the services available through your Honors College Librarian
Scheduled activities related to developing research skills. (These are advertised on the Honors College Events Calendar and the University Library lobby screen.)
- University Libraries introduction and tour.
- Locating and using databases and scholarly journals.
- Creating bibliographies, citations, and research tools.
Individual or small group instruction.
Meet with the Honors College Librarian for a 30 - 60 minute session before starting and during a project to find more resources, or to learn new search techniques.
- Research tools support: Instruction on setting up Really Simple Syndication (RSS) and e-mail alerts, citation generating tools, search alerts, and other research time savers.
- Honors thesis support: Locating materials to support honors research. Recommendations welcomed for books or other materials to add to the library collection in support of the senior thesis.
Consultation with honors professors about honors courses
- Research instruction in the library
- Professors are encouraged to contact the Honors Librarian about in-class and in-library research instruction.
- Professors are encouraged to request assistance in locating research or instructional materials. Suggestions for creating Web-based or other resources for course support are welcomed.
Library questions and requests. The Honors College Librarian can answer policy questions and troubleshoot problems encountered in the library. If you have suggestions for library service or resource improvements, both hardcopy and electronic, specific to honors college programs and student research or scholarship needs, please let Ms. McLaughlin know.
Contact the Honors College Librarian
Ask librarians at the Reference Desk to contact Ms. McLaughlin for assistance.