For High School Seniors
Applying to The Honors College for the 2016/2017 Academic Year: Current High School Seniors
All incoming UAlbany first-year students are eligible to apply for admission to The Honors College. About 125 incoming first-year students are admitted to The Honors College each year (about 5% of the university's entering class). Students must be accepted as incoming first-year students at UAlbany before they can apply to The Honors College.
Applications are accepted from February 1 through April 1. Applications received by March 1 will be reviewed by the honors admissions committee on March 8; applications received by April 1 will be reviewed on April 8. Applications received after April 1 will be reviewed if space remains in The Honors College. Applicants will be notified within a week of the review of their application.
There may be some advantage to submitting an application by March 1. The review of applications submitted between March 1 and April 1 will be influenced to some extent by the number of places remaining in The Honors College after the March 8 review.
Most students who enter The Honors College as incoming first-year students have achieved:
- a 92 or better average in their core academic subjects (math, language, science, social science, foreign language)
- no semester grade below a B
- an SAT score of 1250 or higher on critical reading and math, or a composite ACT score of 28 or higher
Students with the following academic record can also consider applying to The Honors College:
- those with a 92 or better average in their core academic subjects and an SAT or ACT score somewhere lower than 1250 or 28
- those with a record of taking honors and AP courses but whose core academic average is somewhat below 92
- those with an isolated semester grade or two below a B and with a strong academic record otherwise
Applying to The Honors College does not guarantee acceptance. Only a limited number of students can enter The Honors College each year, and so each applicant's likelihood of acceptance is partly influenced by the number of other applicants and their qualifications.
Applying to The Honors College involves reading an essay on striving for excellence and writing a short response to that essay: What are the areas in which you will strive for excellence in your first year of college?
Instructions for applying to The Honors College for the 2016/2017 academic year can be found on this website.