The University at Albany welcomes students from around the world, annually enrolling approximately 1,000 students representing nearly 80 nations. All international applicants apply through the Office of Graduate Admissions.
Basic Degree Application Instructions
International applicants should follow the basic requirements for all degree applicants found at Information for Degree Applicants. Please, make note! Your application cannot be processed, and you will not receive your application number, until you first submit your Graduate Application Payment Form and nonrefundable fee.
Additional Application Requirements of International Students
- To be considered for admission to UAlbany graduate programs, you must have completed a degree program equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling.
- Academic transcripts must be provided in the original language and accompanied by certified translations into English. An official certification of the award of all degrees is also required.
- If applying for UAlbany assistantships or fellowships, complete and submit a Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application.
- To document an international student’s ability to meet all educational and living expenses while attending UAlbany, a Student Financial Affidavit must be filled out completely and submitted. Supporting documentation evidencing financial support (bank statements, deposit verification, etc.) must also be provided with the affidavit.
- Since proven English proficiency is required to ensure success in UAlbany’s graduate programs, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is required for students whose native language is not English. (TOEFL or IELTS scores are not required for students who previously have been enrolled for a minimum of two full-time semesters in a U.S. college or English-speaking institution unless you are applying to the TESOL program.)
Mailing In Your Application
Please submit your application (if not done so online) and all your required documents in a large sealed envelope to:
Office Graduate Admissions
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
Additional Information Topics
For the answers to many common questions, please see International Student: Frequently Asked Questions.