Apply to a Degree or Certificate Program
Application for admission to a graduate program at the University at Albany is easy. All applications are filled out on-line. The University no longer accepts paper applications.
Specific application requirements for individual programs can be found in the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this web site. It is helpful to have all required elements for your application in place before you apply. Links to detailed instructions for the required elements of your application can be found in the Learn More About box at the right.
The Frequently Asked Questions section of this website provides answers to basic questions you may have. If you need more detailed help, or have questions that are not answered in this section, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office. We can be reached at email@example.com or by calling (518) 442-3980.
Follow these steps to complete your application.
For detailed instructions on each of these steps, check our Step-by-Step Application Process.
- Check your department’s deadlines and requirements.
- Gather these necessary application materials:
- Statement of background and goals
- Departmental questionnaire
- Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application
- Names and contact information for 3 recommenders (if you do not have 3 names, indicate “TBD” on the recommender section in the application). If you choose online recommendation submission, recommenders will automatically be sent the online recommendation form once you save their information in your application.
- Create an application account and submit the Application and Application Fee.
- Submit official transcripts from each institution you have attended.
- Submit official standardized test scores, if required.
Please note that several programs require area-specific statements of purpose, forms, questionnaires, or portfolio samples. Those too may be found within our Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website, along with a link to the necessary forms.
If you are ready, you can begin the easy online application process.