Step-by-Step Application Process
Graduate study at UAlbany is an excellent investment in your future. Ready to get started? Here’s how to apply for a graduate degree program. If you have questions along the way, please contact us.
1. Check your department’s deadlines. Each program operates on its own admission schedule, so be sure to search our Application Deadlines and Requirements Look-up to find your program’s deadline.
2. Prepare application materials. You must have all documents prepared prior to the submission of your application as you are unable to alter your application once the fee has been paid. Items to be prepared are:
Statement of Background and Goals
Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application
Names and contact information for 3 recommenders (if you do not have 3 names, you may indicate "TBD" on the recommender section in the application)
3. Create an application account and submit the Application and Application Fee.
4. Submit official transcripts from each institution that you have attended even if you have uploaded an unofficial transcript with your online application. Ask the institution's Registrar's Office to mail the transcripts to either UAlbany or directly to you, then mail them in the original, sealed envelope to the Office of Graduate Admissions. We MUST receive an official transcript from your college or university. Please note: If you have previously attended the University at Albany, you do not need to request a transcript from our Registar's Office to be sent to Graduate Admissions.
5.Request your official standardized test scores be sent, if required. Many UAlbany departments require applicants to take a standardized test such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Check our Application Deadlines and Requirements Look-up to find out what your department’s requirements are. To find out more about the tests themselves, please click here.
* Please note that several programs require area specific statements of purpose, forms, questionnaires, or portfolio samples. Those too may be found within our Application Deadlines and Requirements Look-up along with a link to necessary forms*
For additional information see the Graduate Studies Frequently Asked Questions.