Giving to the New York State Writers Institute
The New York State Writers Institute provides a milieu for establishing and aspiring writers to work together to increase the freedom of the artistic imagination. As a pioneer in promoting the literary arts across all disciplines, the Institute is in a unique position to bring writers to the Capital Region, and throughout the State, who can spark every interest, reach every subculture, and address the needs of every field.
Your gift, through our programming, reaffirms the relevance of good writing, good thinking, and good literature in all lives – young and old.
Gifts to the Writers Institute support programs such as:
- The Visiting Writers Series is the Institute's signature program. The series has been satisfying the public's longstanding quest for high culture and the literary and theatrical arts, and for the invaluable chance to hear or talk with those who create them.
- The Writers Institute Digital Archives is one of the most comprehensive archives of American and international writers anywhere in the world. Roughly half of the 30 year archive is now digital. Additional technical support to digitize the rest of the collection will allow the archives to become a virtual research library of American and world literature.
- The Classic Film Series, launched in 1988, is now a beloved community institution based at UAlbany's downtown campus. The series hosts the world's leading filmakers for free events and informal discussions with local audiences.
- Authors Theatre is a program of staged readings that invites playwrights to showcase plays-in-progress, and receive timely feedback from actors, directors and -- most importantly -- audiences.
- A Writers Residency program for teachers and students in the Albany Public Schools will stimulate and broaden participants' perspective on their lives, and the world of ideas and events, with highly productive outcomes.
With your support, we can seize the moment, large or small, to promote rich ideas, clear thinking and meaningful communication.
For more information about donating to the Writers Institute, please contact
The New York State Writers Institute