Policy & Advocacy
The institute is focused on shaping global policies affecting health and human rights. The GIHHR looks to build on their partnerships with international health organizations to defend the interests of the world’s most vulnerable populations at all levels. A primary goal of the Institute is to empower the next generation of health activists and professionals to become engaged in the international promotion of health and human rights. The realization of social justice in health requires effective health policy and the protection of basic human rights, codified into law. The Institute’s focus is on vulnerable populations and those from the corners of society least able to advocate for themselves due to social, political and/or cultural marginalization. The Institute’s health policy work is a call to action to all those who shape public policy to remain aware of the needs of those who suffer most in society, and to enact laws that will protect their rights and well-being.
- Planning, implementing and monitoring activities such as fellowships, internships, human rights clinics, and conferences
- Encouraging anti-discrimination laws and those promoting equal access to healthcare for marginalized groups
- Consulting as well as providing technical support for researchers and academics with the collaboration of international organizations
- Providing advocacy and support to colleagues under threat due to their work on health and human rights
- Collaboration in Developing Guidelines on Health and Human Rights