Minutes of the Council meeting of September 19, 2001. Approved by the GAC on 10/12/01
In attendance: R. Irving, L. Niu, C. Smith, D. Shub, V. Ng, C. MacDonald (Chair), L. Trubitt, M. Gallant, J. Mumpower, J. Bartow (staff)
Unable to attend: H. Charalambous, S. Nagy-Zekmi, L. Raffalovich
1. Minutes of the meeting of 5/4/01 were reviewed & unanimously approved without amendment.
2. Report of the Dean of Graduate Studies - Jeryl Mumpower
a. Good news - graduate enrollments are up - data were distributed
b. Policy changes pertaining to full-time graduate status have experienced some minor implementation issues, but have generally been received by most students quite enthusiastically.
3. Chair's Report - Carolyn MacDonald
Welcome to Council members.
In addition to the Council's role as defined by the established committee structure, the charge to the Council may include program and/or policy review.
4. Standing Committees
Tentative committee memberships were discussed and approved as follows. The Chair was empowered to consider the shuffling or augmentation of non-Council members in order to provide greater balance to the composition of the committees.
Committee on Admissions & Academic Standing
R. Irving, Chair
Committee on Curriculum & Instruction
M. Gallant, Chair
Committee on Educational Policy & Procedures
D. Shub, Chair
5. The Council engaged in a brief discussion of program review as an important issue to the campus and governance. It was agreed that this topic would be added to the agenda for a future meeting.
6. Future meeting dates were agreed to by Council members:
Friday, October 12, 2001, 11:00AM
Friday, November 9, 2001, 11:00AM
Friday, December 7, 2001, 11:00AM
END OF 9/19/01 GAC MINUTES