Financial Aid Refunds
When students receive more financial aid than their University charges, the extra funds are paid to the student (or parent for PLUS loan) as a "refund".
Financial aid, including loans, will be used first to pay student account charges. A refund will be issued only if their is a credit after charges are paid.
Students should be financially prepared to meet any non-University expenses at the start of the term.
- Refunds may not be available until the start of classes.
- Students may receive several smaller refunds, rather than a single large refund.
- Refunds will depend on the status of the student's financial aid.
- Students may not receive their complete refund until two to six weeks after the start of the term.
- Students are responsible for paying any additional charges incurred after receiving their refund.
- Be sure their are no holds on your Student Account and your financial aid application is complete.
- Regularly check and complete your MyUAlbany Important Items list.
- External scholarships should be mailed by mid-July to: Student Accounts, Campus Center G-26, University at Albany, Albany, NY 12222.
- Sign up for an "e-refund" on epay.albany.edu to transmit refunds electronically to a specified bank account.
- For students requiring funds for academic purchases, such as books and supplies, upon request University Auxiliary Services will advance up to $650 against your Student Account on a Podium account the first two weeks of each semester. Visit www.albany.edu/uas for details.
- Graduate students with a tuition scholarship should be registered for the total credits covered by the scholarship by July 8 (and December 1 for spring) and consult with the academic department to be sure your scholarship has been posted and paperwork forwarded to Human Resources.