General Questions

Which degrees are offered at the School of Public Health?

M.S., M.P.H., Ph.D., Dr.P.H., joint MD/MPH degrees as well as certificates in areas of public health are all available at the school. Students will concentrate their degree in one of four departments; Biomedical Sciences, Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and Health Policy, Management & Behavior.

What is the difference between an MPH and an MS degree?

The difference between the MPH and the MS degree is breadth versus depth. MPH students are required to take at least one introductory course in Health Policy, Social Behavior, Environmental Health, Epidemiology, and Biostatistics thereby providing them with a broader understanding of the expanse of public health. MS students however take the majority to all of their course work within their department and become well versed in their chosen field. The MS degree is also thought of as a more research based degree when compared to the MPH degree.  MS students are required to complete 48 credits plus a major research project to complete the degree, whereas MPH students are required to take 51 credit hours of classes which includes up to 12 credits of internship work instead of a final research project.

Are internships required to complete a degree?

Internships are an integral part of the School of Public Health's mission. The requirements of each degree vary so it is best to look at your department's web page to see how many credits are needed for graduation.

Which undergraduate degrees are appropriate for Public Health?

Human Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Ecology, Anthropology, Health and Wellness, Health and Society, Communications, Business, and Human Biology are examples of acceptable undergraduate degrees for Public Health. However, many fields are encompassed within public health and if you are uncertain of a particular degree please contact us.

How many credits will it take to complete a degree in Public Health?

  • MPH- 51 Credits
  • MS- 48 Credits
  • DrPH- 78-81 Credits
  • PhD- varies by program

Full time students typically take two years to complete their masters level degree.  Doctoral degrees normally take four years or more.

What student support programs exist?

Upon enrollment students are matched with a Faculty Advisor who serves as the main resource while at the School of Public Health. An internship coordinator is available to assist students in procuring internships that suit each student's interests and career goals. As an intern, students will have a mentor on site with whom they will be in frequent contact. The School also provides Career Development Workshops and student mentors.  Assistants to the Chair in each academic department also provide as a significant source of student support.

Can a part time student complete the degree?

Part-time study is permitted in certain departments in the School, including Epidemiology and Biostatistics and Health Policy, Management, & Behavior. It is recommended that students carry at least three credits per semester and are continuously registered. In accordance with University policy, all degree requirements must be completed within six years.

How do I get more information?

If you would like to request more information please complete the form on the website and we will send you a more detailed brochure.

Do you host students that would like to visit the school?

We will gladly assist in making the necessary arrangements, such as a tour of the facility and the opportunity to speak with faculty members, for students who would like to visit the school.

Admissions Questions

Can I substitute the MCAT test scores for the GRE?

MCAT scores may be submitted in place of the GREs for most programs at the School of Public Health.  However applicants interested in Biomedical Sciences (MS only) must request approval prior to submitting scores.  Please contact the Assistant to the Chair (Caitlin Reid) at (518) 473-7553 to request approval.  The MCAT is not accepted for the PhD in Biomedical Sciences, or either program in Environmental Health Sciences.

What is the tuition for study at the University at Albany School of Public Health?

For current semester charges please visit the Student Accounts site

Are there fellowships and graduate assistantships available?

Both fellowships and graduate assistantships are available for our students. For more information please visit the admissions portion of our website.

How do I apply?

The School of Public Health uses an external application service (SOPHAS) as its primary application tool.  To apply, please go to http://www.sophas.org/ and submit all credentials as instructed.  Applicants to the certificate program should apply through the University at Albany‚Äôs Office of Graduate Admissions.  Go to www.albany.edu/graduate and fill out the degree application.

- Admission Information

School of Public Health Demographics

How large is the School?

There are 12,750 undergraduates and more than 5,000 graduate students enrolled at the University at Albany. The School of Public Health enrolls over 400 graduate students.

What is the ratio of males to females at the School?

The entering class of 2008 was 32% male and 68% female.

How diverse is the School?

The 2008 entering class was 27% students of color and 21% international students.   Over 25 different states are represented across the School.

What is the class size?

The ratio of faculty to student is approximately 1:2, allowing the School to maintain small and personal classes. Currently the average class size in first-year core courses is about 22 students.

After Graduation

What types of jobs can one attain with a degree in Public Health?

Students who attain a degree in Public Health are able to work at the county and state level through health departments, on the governmental level at Centers for Disease Control, National Institutes of Health, and the Department of Health and Human Services, or at the international level for non-profit organizations and the World Health Organization. Students are also able to work in the private sector with HMO's and pharmaceutical companies. Other avenues of employment are academia, hospitals and schools.

To learn more about employment opportunities in public health visit www.asph.org and www.publichealthjobs.net

- Internships and Career Services