The University has started construction on a project to renovate approximately 46,000 square feet of the existing Campus Center and construct approximately 76,000 square feet of new space. This project, which is currently under construction, is anticipated to be completed in two phases. Phase 1 (the east addition) has been completed for the fall 2015 semester. Phase 2 (the west addition and the existing building renovation) will be completed in late 2016.
The scope of this project was based on an earlier University study which seeks to ‘right-size’ the building and student union facilities for current day enrollment and programming needs as well as renovate the existing building – over many years – to modern standards. Key components of the University’s approach to expanding and renovating the Campus Center include:
- Creating spaces and an environment for out-of-the classroom learning and collaboration opportunities;
- Providing spaces and places that create a focal point for student leadership and engagement;
- Enhancing the facilities as the University’s central hub for food, fun and entertainment;
- Promoting personal wellness;
- Expanding recreation activities;
- Allowing for late night programming; and
- Establishing a clear construction/renovation phasing plan which addresses all building south, first level upgrade needs during a single-bid project.
Work for this project includes, but is not limited to, two new additions and partial gut renovation of the existing Campus Center. The existing Campus Center consists of the original, Edward Durrell Stone designed building built in the 1960's.
Construction is planned in two primary phases to allow the existing Campus Center to continually operate. Phase 1 involves construction and completion of the East Addition and construction of the West Addition. The East Addition is now open for the fall 2015 semester. Construction has begun within the renovation area and Central Courtyard. The completion of the West Addition and Renovation areas will occur during Phase 2, in late 2016.
The “West addition” will be a 55,000 square foot addition and house;
- 400 seat multi-use auditorium;
- Multi-use rehearsal room;
- Student group office suites;
- A food service venue;
- Meditation room;
- Student group resource spaces;
- Miscellaneous lounges and meeting rooms;
The “East addition” will be a 21,000 square foot addition and will feature;
- A double height dining room with five associated market style food service venues;
- Sub-basement catering kitchen;
- Service tunnel and loading dock;
- Below grade storage space for the Campus Center bookstore;
- Improved functionality of retail services by removing deliveries and trash removal from public areas;
The Renovation portion of the project will include 46,000 square foot of renovated space within the existing Campus Center.
- Renovations will feature ten market style food service venues;
- Gut renovation of the existing “main” kitchen within the historically significant 1960’s Campus Center;
- A Monumental stair and bridge will replace the existing stair which currently leads from the Podium level to the dining level below;
- Lounge spaces;
- Meeting rooms;
- Dining seating areas;
• Site work for the project includes,
- Landscaping surrounding the West Addition;
- Renovation of the existing bus drop off area near the Science Library;
- The East Addition site work will feature an outdoor green space and areas associated with construction of the loading dock and site utility installations;
- The Central Courtyard (the Hedy Schwartz Bagatelle Courtyard) will be renovated, addressing upgrade needs in the Parents Fountain and improving landscaping and seating;
The University has designed this building to target LEED Gold certification from the United States Green Building Council, a measure of sustainability and green features of building design, construction, and operations.
Green features shall include;
- Maximization of daylight to reduce lighting needs;
- Automatic daylight responsive lighting controls;
- A “green” roof;
- Roof mounted photo-voltaic (solar) panels;
- Permeable pavement;
The project is currently in Phase 2 of Construction
- East Addition – occupancy Fall Semester 2015
- West Addition – Anticipated occupancy late 2016
- Campus Center Renovation – Planned construction start September, 2015, Anticipated occupancy late 2016
Please contact Brad Bunzey or Dave LaComb at 442-3400 in Facilities.
Existing featured project photos & renderings to remain
(click the image below to start the slideshow)
East Addition Photos
West Addition Photos