BA in English
For majors who matriculated Fall 2004 or later, the bachelor of arts in English requires a minimum of 36 credits distributed as follows:
Core Courses (12 credits; not to be taken simultaneously)
- AENG205z: Introduction to Writing in English Studies
- AENG210: Introduction to English Studies (with a grade of C or higher)
- AENG305z: Studies in Writing about Texts
- AENG310: Reading and Interpretation in English Studies
Elective Courses (24 credits)
- 200+ level: 9 credits at or above the 200 level, including a maximum of six credits from other departments (consult the undergraduate bulletin for the list of approved courses.)
- 300+ level: 9 credits in English at or above the 300 level.
- 400 level: 6 credits at the 400 level (generally taken during senior year).
Upon declaration of the major, a student is assigned a Faculty Mentor by the Office of Undergraduate Advisement. Majors are should meet with their faculty mentors regularly during their academic careers, and are encouraged to develop ongoing mentor-mentee relationships. Students should know their assigned mentors, their mentors' office hours, and contact information, all of which can be obtained during pre-registration advisement. Contact information and office hours are also posted on the Department bulletin boards on the third floor of the Humanities building.
For full descriptions of current and recent offerings see our Undergraduate Course Archive.