Helpful Registration Links
Taking Online Classes
Online Waitlist Policy For All Students Requesting Online Courses
Online Waitlist Policy Overview
Our online courses are generally, but not exclusively, reserved for students matriculated in our fully online Early Childhood Ed and Childhood Ed MS programs. These two online programs are part-time and courses are reserved for them so they will be able graduate within a reasonable time frame. However, at times we do offer online courses for both online and on campus students. Students can see which courses, and when they are being offered, by checking the annotated course schedule located on the Department's homepage. Each course is clearly marked for students in the various degrees, along with who to contact if permission is needed to register.
Eligibility for Online Courses
Online Matriculated Students
If you are a matriculated online student in the Department of Literacy Teaching and Learning, please contact your advisor, Trudy Walp, to obtain your AVN and a CPN(Course Permission Number) for your online courses.
On Campus Matriculated Students in Early Childhood and Childhood Programs
If you are in the Childhood or Early Childhood campus programs, you also have priority for our online courses if the required course is available online only. Please contact your advisor for an AVN and Trudy Walp for a CPN.
On Campus Matriculated Students in MS in Literacy and other SOE Degrees
If you are in the MS in Literacy or in another department, you can register for our online courses if the course is indicated as open to you (see above) or there are seats available, on a first-come, first-served basis. Trudy Walp maintains waitlists for online courses. See the online course waitlist policy that follows.
If you have been admitted as a non-degree student, please understand that students matriculated in Childhood and Early Childhood have first priority, those matriculated in the MS Literacy programs have second priority, and non-degree students have third priority. That does not necessarily mean you will not get into the course. You are encouraged to request the course waitlist. See the online course waitlist policy below for more details.
Online Waitlist Policy Procedures
Matriculated and non-degree students are eligible to be placed on waitlists for online courses. Students may request to be placed on the waitlist for one online course only; your placement on this waiting list is determined by the date and time that you submit the request. Matriculated students have priority over non-degree students for all waitlists. Once seats have been offered to matriculated students, they will be offered to non-degree students according to the date/time of emails requesting a course.
As the start of a new semester approaches, if an online course has not been filled, seats will be offered to students on the waitlist, starting with the first person on the list. Please note that checking the course registration is misleading because it only shows how many students have actually registered for a course. For courses requiring a permission number (CPN), there are students who have received a permission number but have not yet registered.
The procedure for requesting that your name be placed on a waitlist for an online course is as follows:
- Email your request to the Online Program Manager, Trudy Walp, on or after the first day of the new registration period. No early-bird requests will be accepted--if you make a request early, it will be returned to you, and you will have to make another one.
- Students may request to be placed on a waitlist for ONE course only.
- It is your responsibility to check that the course applies to your degree program so please be sure to confer with your advisor.
- Include a valid email address. Be sure that this email address is current.
- Requests for waitlists will ONLY be accepted via email to Trudy Walp. Trudy is the person who issues CPNs for online courses, not the course instructor. Please do not call or email individual instructors because they do not have the CPN.
- We will acknowledge your email request and placement on the waitlist. Close to the start of the new semester, if the online course has space available, we will send you a second email giving you information on how to register. Please note: We do not send a follow-up email if there is no availability in the course.
- Please do not email the instructors to check on the status of a course and the waitlist. Online instructors do not have course permission numbers for online courses, nor do they keep the waiting lists for online courses.