Applying for a Professional or Permanent Certificate
You must complete an approved master’s degree program and obtain 3 years teaching (including one year mentorship) within 5 years of being awarded your Initial certificate in order to be eligible for Professional certification.
There are no University requirements for graduates of programs that are applying through this pathway. You will apply directly through State Ed.
New York State Education Department Requirements
- Completion of an acceptable master’s degree and coursework. Send an official final transcript to the Office of Teaching Initiatives
- Teach for 3 years full time in an acceptable school (includes one mentored year)
- DASA Workshop
- Application on TEACH (including $100 fee for each certificate you apply for)
- Edit and update your TEACH account including education and employment information. If you do not update your education information, you will not be able to successfully apply.
- Apply and pay the State Ed application fee on TEACH through theCERTIFICATE PROGRESSION Pathway. You will not have a Program Code.
- Request to have an official, final UAlbany transcript sent to NYSED. If you took graduate courses at another institution, you may be required to send those transcripts also.