Recruitment: The 9 Step Process
The Recruitment Process
Step 9: Final Recommendation for Hire
- Upon completion of the interview process, the Search Committee prepares and submits its recommendation to the hiring authority, who consults with the ODI staff member on the proposed hire.
- An updated Applicant Flow Analysis and request to make offer sent to the ODI along with summary of strength and weakness for all candidates interviewed.
- The Search Committee Chair and the hiring authority will consult to determine rank (if applicable), salary, and any other aspects of the appointment package. An offer is made by the hiring authority or by the appropriate Provost or Vice President (VP). Teaching faculty appointments are made by the Provost based on the recommendation of the appropriate dean.
- Once an offer is accepted, an Appointment Request (HRM-2), or Change in Status Request (HRM-3), for current employees is generated by the hiring authority, signed by the dean/director and the appropriate Vice President and forwarded to the Office of Human Resources Management. This transaction form activates the personnel record for the new hire and is critical for initiating many campus services such as computing and SUNY card.
- If inquiries are made by applicants before an appointment is made, the unsuccessful candidates may be told the status of the search. Once the position has been accepted and the candidate has signed an appointment letter, letters of regret, should be sent to unsuccessful candidates.
Note: If an offer is declined, the hiring authority should work in conjunction with the Search Committee Chair, dean or VP to determine if an offer can be made to another qualified finalist. The ODI must be informed of the declined offer, and approve a request to make supplemented offer.
- All search file information should remain in the hiring unit office for three (3) years from the end of the search.