Lambda Pi Eta
Lambda Pi Eta (LPH) is the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA). To be eligible to join, UAlbany students must meet the following criteria:
- 60 credits at UAlbany with an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- 12 credits in Communication with an overall GPA of at least 3.25
About Lambda Pi Eta
Lambda Pi Eta (LPH) has more than 400 active chapters at four-year colleges and universities worldwide. LPH was founded in 1985 and became the official honor society of the National Communication Association in July 1995.
LPH represents what Aristotle described in his book, Rhetoric, as the three ingredients of persuasion: Logos (Lambda) meaning logic, Pathos (Pi) relating to emotion, and Ethos (Eta) defined as character credibility and ethics.
Goals of Lambda Pi Eta
1. Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication studies
2. Stimulate interest in the field of communication
3. Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
4. Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
5. Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
6. Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
LPH is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS) whose mission is to build a visibly cohesive community of national and international honor societies, individually and collaboratively exhibiting excellence in scholarship, service, programs, and governance.
The Department of Communication would like to congratulate the 55 new members who were inducted to LPH in April 2013.
2013 photos by Mark Schmidt
Sun Hwa Shin
More 2013 photos on our Facebook page.
Spring 2012 inductees
Officers from the Nu Alpha Chapter of Lambda Pi Eta conduct the 2009 induction ceremony.