- von Pein, M., & Altarriba, J. (in press, 2011). Testing the development of linguistic knowledge in adult na´ve learners of American Sign Language. Modern Language Journal, 95.
- Knickerbocker, H., & Altarriba, J. (2011). Bilingualism and the impact of emotion: The role of experience, memory, and sociolinguistic factors. In V. Cook, & B. Bassetti (Eds.), Language and bilingual cognition (pp. 453-477). New York: Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis.
- Altarriba, J., & Knickerbocker, H. (2011). Acquiring second language vocabulary through the use of images and words. In P. Trofimovich, & K. McDonough (Eds.), Applying priming methods to L2 learning, teaching and research: Insights from psycholinguistics (pp. 21-48). Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company.
- Altarriba, J., & Basnight-Brown, D. M. (in press, 2011). The representation of emotion vs. emotion-laden words in English and in Spanish in the Affective Simon Task. International Journal of Bilingualism, 15.
- Tse, C.-S., & Altarriba, J. (2010). The revelation of the negative side of a mental number line depends on list context: Evidence from a sign priming paradigm. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology, 22, 1248-1260.
- Olivares, I., & Altarriba, J. (2009). Mental health considerations for speech-language services with bilingual Spanish-English speakers. Seminars in Speech and Language, 30, 153-161.
- Marmolejo, G., Diliberto-Macaluso, K. A., & Altarriba, J. (2009). False memory in bilinguals: Does switching languages increase false memories? American Journal of Psychology, 122, 1-16.
- Agee, J. M., & Altarriba, J. (2009). Changing conceptions and uses of computer technologies in the everyday literacy practices of sixth and seventh graders. Research in the Teaching of English, 43, 363-396.
- Tse, C.-S., & Altarriba, J. (2008). Evidence against linguistic relativity in Chinese and English: A case study of spatial and temporal metaphors. Journal of Cognition and Culture, 8, 335-357.
- Sutton, T. M., & Altarriba, J. (2008). Representing emotion words in the mental lexicon: A new look at the emotional Stroop effect. The Mental Lexicon, 3, 19-46.
- Matsumoto, D., Yoo, S. H., Nakagawa, S., Alexandre, J., Altarriba, J., et al. (2008). Culture, emotion regulation, and adjustment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94, 925-937.
- Matsumoto, D., Yoo, S. H., Fontaine, J., . . .Altarriba, J., et al. (2008). Mapping expressive differences around the world: The relationship between emotional display rules and individualism versus collectivism. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 39, 55-74.
- Bauer, L. M., & Altarriba, J. (2008). An investigation of sex differences in word ratings across concrete, abstract, and emotion words. The Psychological Record, 58, 465-474.
- Altarriba, J. (2008). Expressions of emotion as mediated by context. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 11, 165-167.
- Tse, C.-S., & Altarriba, J. (2007). Testing the associative-link hypothesis in immediate serial recall: Evidence from word frequency and word imageability effects. Memory, 15, 675-690.
- Sutton, T. M., Altarriba, J., Gianico, J. L., & Basnight-Brown, D. M. (2007). The automatic access of emotion: Emotional Stroop effects in Spanish-English bilingual speakers. Cognition & Emotion, 21, 1077-1090.
- Basnight-Brown, D. M., & Altarriba, J. (2007). Differences in semantic and translation priming across languages: The role of language direction and language dominance. Memory & Cognition, 35, 953-965.
- Altarriba, J., & Basnight-Brown, D. M. (2007). Methodological considerations in performing semantic and translation priming experiments across languages. Behavior Research Methods, 39, 1-18.
- Altarriba, J., & Majcher-Tinney, D. (2006). The role of cognitive, socio-cultural, and ethno-linguistic factors in the acquisition and learning of a second language. Journal of Social and Ecological Boundaries (Special Issue: Issues in Bilingualism), 2, 84-116.
- Altarriba, J., & Canary, T. M. (2004). Affective priming: The automatic activation of arousal. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 25, 248-265.
- Altarriba, J., & Bauer, L. M. (2004). The distinctiveness of emotion concepts: A comparison between emotion, abstract, and concrete words. American Journal of Psychology, 117, 389-410.
- Altarriba, J., & Gianico, J. L. (2003). Lexical ambiguity resolution across languages: A theoretical and empirical review. Experimental Psychology, 50, 159-170.
- Diliberto, K. A., Altarriba, J., & Neill, W. T. (2000). Novel popout and familiar popout in a brightness discrimination task. Perception & Psychophysics, 62, 1494-1500.