2. Ghosh KS, Pande A, Pande J. (2011) Binding of γ-crystallin substrate prevents the binding of copper and zinc ions to the molecular chaperone α-crystallin. Biochemistry. 50, 3279-81. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bi200091q)
3. Banerjee, P. R., Pande, A., Patrosz, J., Thurston, G. and Pande, J. (2010) Cataract-associated mutant E107A of human gammaD-crystallin shows increased attraction to alpha-crystallin and enhanced light scattering. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 50, 3279-3281.(Cover article, Epub. December 20, 2010),
For commentaries that provide a broader perspective of this work, see the following:
- Commentary on the PNAS article: Asherie, N. (2010) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (Early Edition), Dec. 28, doi/10.1073/pnas.1017543108.
- Science and Technology article: Borman, S. (2011) Chemical & Engineering News, 89 (3), Jan. 17, 36.
4. Pande A, Ghosh KS, Banerjee PR, Pande J. (2010)Increase in surface hydrophobicity of the cataract-associated P23T mutant of human gammaD-crystallin is responsible for its dramatically lower, retrograde solubility. Biochemistry, 49, 6122-9. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bi100664s)
5. Danysh BP, Patel TP, Czymmek KJ, Edwards DA, Wang L, Pande J, Duncan MK.(2010) Characterizing molecular diffusion in the lens capsule. Matrix Biol., 29, 228-36. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20026402)
6. Xie,L., Chou, S.-G., Pande, A., Pande, J., Zhang, J., Dresselhaus, M. S., Kong, J. and Liu, Z. (2010) Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Probing the Denaturation of Lysozyme. J. Phys. Chem. C, 114,7717–7720.
7. Pande A, Gillot D, Pande J. (2009) The cataract-associated R14C mutant of human gamma D-crystallin shows a variety of intermolecular disulfide cross-links: a Raman spectroscopic study. Biochemistry, 48, 4937-45. (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bi9004182)
8. Pande A, Zhang J, Banerjee PR, Puttamadappa SS, Shekhtman A, Pande J. (2009) NMR study of the cataract-linked P23T mutant of human gammaD-crystallin shows minor changes in hydrophobic patches that reflect its retrograde solubility. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 382, 196-9.
9. Wu,Y., Fishkin, N. E., Pande, A., Pande, J. and Sparrow, J. R. (2009)Novel Lipofuscin Bisretinoids Prominent in Human Retina and in a Model of Recessive Stargardt Disease, J. Biol. Chem. 284, 20155-20166.
10. McManus, J., Lomakin, A., Ogun, O., Pande, A., Basan, M., Pande, J. and Benedek,G. B. (2007) "Altered Phase Diagram Due to a Single Point Mutation in Human Gamma-D Crystallin", Proc Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A., 104, 16856-61, (Referenced on the cover, Epub. Oct 8, 2007).
Return to top
UAlbany Chemist Eyes the Role of Proteins Behind Cataracts.
June 21, 2010 (http://www.albany.edu/news/campus_news_9719.php)
Scholarly Success: Going for the Goldwater May 27, 2008
Return to top
University at Albany sophomore Julita Ewa Patrosz won the prestigious Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship in 2008. The scholarship is the nation's premier undergraduate award for outstanding students in the fields of science, engineering and mathematics.
Above: Julita Patrosz and faculty mentor, Jayanti Pande, in the Life Sciences Research Building courtyard.
Julita was a Biochemistry and Molecular Biology major and worked in the lab of her adviser, Associate Professor of Chemistry Dr. Jayanti Pande, engaged in researching the use of biophysical techniques to understand mutations in lens proteins leading to the formation of cataracts. Julita‘s research was included in the well-received PNAS article described above.
Return to top