CCI Produces Cutting-Edge Research with an Impact
- In Computer Science, basic and applied research by faculty members spans the discipline, dealing with topics from artificial intelligence to data mining to software validation.
- In Informatics, research topics range from computer science and technology to business, education, geology, physics, sociology, social welfare, and even music. All doctoral students must conduct original research. They should begin thinking about their broad research topic and discussing it with the faculty as early as possible.
- In Information Studies, research covers a wide range of topics from research methods and statistics to human-computer interactions to multimedia organization and retrieval.
Related Research Centers
Students may broaden their experience with real-world applications through any of the related research centers:
- Institute for Informatics, Logics and Security Studies (ILS) ILS is a multi-disciplinary organization conducting advanced research in various aspects of computational informatics. The Institute's mission is to increase the University at Albany's reputation and visibility as a center of excellence in information technology research and education.
- Center for Technology in Government (CTG) The Center conducts applied research and partnership projects on the policy, management, and technology issues surrounding information use in the public sector. Research areas include e-government, inter-organizational knowledge networks, electronic records, and digital government.
- Center for Policy Research (CPR) This center, at the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, is the primary focus for public policy research and analysis within the University community. It aims to improve policy processes and decision-making at all levels of government.
Conducting research is a vital part of coursework for both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Students work with professors, or advisers, to design research projects that will advance their studies. The four related research centers provide real world case studies to help both students and practitioners improve their abilities.