PhD, Department of Computer Science -- July 2014 University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
MS, Department of Computer Science -- December 2013 University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA
MEng, Department of Telecommunications -- February 2008 Technical University – Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria
BEng, Department of Telecommunications -- July 2006 Technical University – Sofia, Sofia, Bulgaria
My research focus is on wireless networks for infrastructure-challenged regions, characterized with low-bandwidth Internet gateways, lack of reliable electricity and sparse populations. In order to connect such regions I have designed distributed cellular network systems to provide voice, text messaging and data connectivity. I am also working on Dynamic Spectrum Access systems to for long-distance high-bandwidth connectivity.
In the past, I have worked on other projects related to wireless networking including monitoring, medium access control for 60 GHz networks and smart phones.
Dr. Mariya Zheleva is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science at University at Albany SUNY. Prior to joining the tenure-track faculty in 2016, she was a visiting assistant professor at the University. Mariya's research interest is in the intersection of wireless networks and Information and Communication Technology for Development. She has done work on small local cellular networks, Dynamic Spectrum Access, spectrum management and sensing and network performance and characterization. Her work was published in top-tier conferences, interdisciplinary journals and featured in popular media. Mariya is currently serving on the organizing committee of DySPAN2017 and on several technical program committees.
Journals and Magazines
–Mariya Zheleva, HuyngJune Lee "Power-aware relay selection and routing scheme for multi-interface sensor networks", to appear in International Journal of Computers Communications and Control (IJCCC), January 2015
– Mariya Zheleva, Paul Schmitt, Morgan Vigil, Elizabeth Belding "Internet Bandwidth Upgrade: Implications on Performance and Usage in Rural Zambia", to appear in Information Technology and International Development (ITID) 11(2) 2015
– Mariya Zheleva and M. Nekrasov. “Conferences: MobiSys 2013 ”, in IEEE Pervasive Computing, v. 13, p. 85. October-December 2013.
– V. Pejovic, D. Johnson, Mariya Zheleva, E. Belding, L. Parks, G. van Stam. “The Bandwidth Divide: Obstacles to Efficient Broadband Adoption in Rural Sub-Saharan Africa,” in International Journal of Communications (IJoC), [S.l.], v. 6, p. 25, October 2012. ISSN 1932-8036.
– V. Kone, Mariya Zheleva, M. Wittie, B. Zhao, E. Belding, H. Zheng, K. Almeroth. “AirLab: Consistency, Fidelity and Privacy in Wireless Measurements,” in SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review (CCR). v. 41(1), p. 60, January, 2011 as an Editorial Note.
Conferences and Workshops
–Paul Schmitt, Daniel Iland, Elizabeth Belding, Mariya Zheleva "PhoneHome: Robust Extension of Cellular Coverage", in International Conference on Computer Communication and Networks (IEEE ICCCN'16), Waikoloa, Hawaii, USA, 1-4 August, 2016
–Paul Schmitt, Daniel Iland, Mariya Zheleva, Elizabeth Belding "HybridCell: Cellular connectivity on the fringes with demand-driven local cells", in IEEE INFOCOM, San Francisco, California, USA, 10-15 April, 2016
–Mariya Zheleva, Aakanksha Chowdhery, Ranveer Chandra, Ashish Kapoor, Paul Garnett "TxMiner: Identifying Transmitters in Real-World Spectrum Measurements", in IEEE DySpan, Stockholm, Sweden, 29 September - 2 October, 2015
– V. Pejovic, D. Johnson, Mariya Zheleva, A. Lysko, E. Belding “VillageLink: Wide-Area Wireless Coverage,” in The Sixth International Conference on Communication Systems and Networks (COMSNETS), Bangalore, India, January 2014.
– Mariya Zheleva, P. Schmitt, M. Vigil, E. Belding “The Increased Bandwidth Fallacy: Performance and Usage in Rural Zambia”, in The Fourth Annual Symposium on Computing for Development (ACM DEV), Cape Town, South Africa, December 2013.
– Mariya Zheleva, P. Schmitt, M. Vigil, E. Belding “Bringing Visibility to Rural Users in Cote D’Ivoire”, in The International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD), Cape Town, South Africa, December 2013.
– Mariya Zheleva, P. Schmitt, M. Vigil, E. Belding “Community Detection in Cellular Network Traces”, in The International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies and Development (ICTD), Cape Town, South Africa, December 2013.
– P. Schmitt, M. Vigil, Mariya Zheleva, E. Belding “Communication Flow Patterns in the Orange Telecom D4D Dataset”, in Third conference on the Analysis of Mobile Phone Datasets (NetMob), Boston, MA, May 2013.
– Mariya Zheleva, A. Paul, D. Johnson, E. Belding “Kwiizya: Local Cellular Network Services in Remote Areas”, in The 11th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications and Services (MobiSys), Taipei, Taiwan, June 2013.
– Veljko Pejovic, David Johnson, Mariya Zheleva, Albert Lysko, Elizabeth Belding "VillageLink: A Channel Allocation Technique for Wire-Area White Space Networks", in White Space Communication: Advances, Developments and Engineering Challenges, eds. Amit Kumar Mishra and David Lloyd Johnson, Springer 2014