How to report your publicly engaged work in the Faculty Activity Report
New features to facilitate Public Engagement Reporting
- • In several activity areas of the Faculty Activity Report (FAR), there is a check box to allow you to
indicate activities that have a public engagement component. If you check “yes,” that activity is
automatically compiled for you in your own Public Engagement Report.
- • A new External Service and Partnership activity form enables you to report a variety of jobrelated
activities not easily placed elsewhere–e.g., clinical service, counseling, educational
activities like providing workshops and forums, expert testimony, field work and technical
assistance of many types such as assisting external groups with best practices or grant writing.
- • A new Summaries of All Publicly Engaged Work section will help you efficiently characterize
the nature of this work, such as disciplines involved, who has benefited, locations, areas of
outcomes and impacts, collaborating organizations, and other such information. Drop down
menus facilitate answers in much of this section.
Steps for Public Engagement Reporting
As with other parts of the FAR, faculty members are at their discretion to fill out the new questions as
meets their needs and those of their department. Campus wide, this is an opportunity to have engaged
work in all disciplines represented as well as to advance and celebrate faculty work in public
- First, please start by reading the definitions of public engagement and related terms to help
report on publicly engaged teaching, scholarship/research and service. In the FAR, you can
access these definitions by using the blue ? button . E.g., you will see that button after the
following question: “Check to indicate this activity has a public engagement component”
Also it is in the new section Publicly Engaged Work/Activities.
- You will find these questions under the following activity areas:
- Activity Areas - Question Location
- Scheduled Teaching - beneath COURSE_SIRF
- Independent Study and Internship - at the bottom of each
- Dissertation/Thesis/Research Practicum - beneath TYPE_OTHER
- Artistic and Professional Performances - beneath LOCATION
- Publications and Intellectual - beneath TITLE
- Presentations - beneath TITLE
- Grants and Contracts - beneath SPONORG
- Intellectual Property b- eneath NATIONS
- Other Research - beneath DESC
- Consulting - beneath DESC
- Other Activity with Students - Beside FAC_ROLE
- Departmental Service - beneath ROLEOTHER
- School/College Service - beneath ROLEOTHER
- University Level Service - beneath ROLEOTHER
- SUNY, State-Wide Service - beneath ROLEOTHER
- Renamed: Community Board/Other Service - beneath ROLEOTHER
- NEW – External Service and Partnerships - beneath UAlbany Job-Related Only
- Once you have filled out the parts of the FAR that relate to you, review your public
engagement activities. When in the FAR, access any screen where you enter or manage your
activities. Click on Rapid Reports at the bottom right of the screen (looks like part of a taskbar)
and then choose “Public Engagement Report” for AY 14/15.
- Printing out this summary will help you fill out the new section Publicly Engaged Work/Activities – see #5 below.
- From the main menu, choose the screen for Summaries of All Publicly Engaged Work. It is
important to read the intro screen there because it explains a new concept the FAR is using.
Very briefly, to capture your accomplishments, you can report on groupings of related activities
that you create and which may include research, teaching and/or service. (You can still report
on an individual item if preferred.) This approach is designed to save you time as you report on
types of work and fields involved, collaborating entities, areas of outcome/impact, beneficiaries
and their location, etc. Drop down menus facilitate responses. How you group activities is your
choice and may relate to your programs, projects or other work clusters.
- Add additional groupings or individual activities.
And Thank You for Participating in This Important Initiative to Help Tell UAlbany’s Story of Public Engagement!
Instructions provided by the Public Engagement Council - March 30, 2015
More info available at:
Resource people: http://www.albany.edu/outreach/pe_resources.php
Printable version of these instructions.