Purchasing Computers, Software and Related Equipment
CAS Computing is always willing to meet with faculty and staff to assist in the configuration of a computer and associated software and peripherals. Please inform us before purchasing any non-standard equipment, large numbers of computers, or software that will require a server. If in doubt, check with CAS Computing before ordering.
• New Faculty
• Supported Equipment
• Other Equipment
• Purchasing Accounts
• Purchasing Computers – Dell
• Purchasing Computers – Apple
• Purchasing Printers
• Purchasing Software
• Office of Equipment Management (OEM) Forms
New faculty often receive startup funds to purchase computers and related equipment. Since it takes some time to apply for and receive a procurement card, CAS Computing will work with new faculty in choosing computer(s), software and related equipment and then will purchase the computer and transfer the expenditure to the faculty member’s startup account.
List of equipment supported by PC Service Center: http://www.albany.edu/its/svc_pcsvc.php. Click on the Supported Equipment link.
The PC Service Center is certified to repair Dell and Apple computers. CAS Computing is also most familiar with Dell and Apple equipment. Other brands can be purchased but will take longer to configure and repair so unless there is a real need for a specific brand, it is best to purchase from Apple or Dell. In the Dell line of computers, users should purchase Optiplexes and Latitudes since these are designed for enterprise use. XPS laptops can be purchased if a lighter laptop is required. If a high end computational computer is required, Precision workstations are recommended but will not be repaired by the PC Service Center. The low prices might be tempting but stay away from the entire Inspiron line and XPS desktops. These are designed for home use. To get support from the PC Service Center, a minimum of a 3 year warranty must be purchased, 5 years is preferred. 3 to 5 year Accident coverage should be purchased for laptops.
The PC Service Center is certified to repair HP laser printers. Ink jet printers and multi-function printers (MFPs) are not supported. A service contract should be purchased from the vendor to handle repairs for expensive ink jets, MFPs and non HP printers. CAS Computing supports the printing function of lasers, ink jets and MFPs and will connect them to the network if the printer is networkable. CAS Computing will not support the scanning to network or scanning to email functionality of MFPs.
CAS Computing will install and support all computer related equipment on a best effort basis.
Accounts for Purchasing Computers
Dell – Email Barry Warriner at Barry_Warriner@dell.com to request a Premier Account. Request the account if you will be purchasing often for your department.
Apple – There is an involved vetting process for acquiring an Apple purchasing account. For most departments, it is not worth it. CAS Computing will be happy to get quotes for you.
Purchasing - Dell
• Start with the University quotes available at https://wiki.albany.edu/x/LSaAAg.
• For minor changes, email Barry Warriner (Barry_Warriner@dell.com) and attach the
original quote and detail the desired changes.
• The quotes tend to be configured with smaller monitors. Often upgrading to a larger
size is $50 or less.
• To order other configurations, go to www.dell.com logging into Premier if you have
an account. If you have an account, configure the computer desired and order
• If you don’t have an account, configure the desired computer and either print to a
PDF or cut and paste into an email. Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we
will get a quote. Once you have the quote, call Barry Warriner
(number is on the quote) and order the computer referencing the quote number.
• Have the computer delivered to CAS Computing, BA 364. Put your name or the
owner of the computer’s name in the name field so we know who the computer is
Purchasing - Apple
• Go to www.apple.com and configure the computer.
• Be sure to include AppleCare which is required by the PC Service Center for
• Print the configuration to a PDF or copy and paste into an email and send it to
email@example.com. CAS Computing will then get a quote/proposal.
• To order the computer, call the 1-800 number on the quote.
• Have the computer delivered to CAS Computing, BA 364 but ask the operator to put
the name of the owner of the computer or your name in the
“Customer Reference Data” field.
• Quotes for HP printers are available at https://wiki.albany.edu/x/LSaAAg.
• Instructions for ordering are included in the quote.
• Have printers delivered to your location.
• Once the printer arrives, if it needs to be put on the network, email
• Contact vendor directly to order MFPs. Remember only the printing function is
supported by CAS Computing. Please remember to purchase a service contract.
• Quotes for reduced pricing for software are available at
• Additional software and software for personally owned computers is available at
Office of Equipment Management (OEM) Forms
• All forms are located at http://www.albany.edu/equipment/forms.html.
• New computers require a New Asset Receipt Form.
• Laptops and University computers located off campus require an Off Campus Use