Media Advisory: New York State Writers Institute Names State Author and State Poet
Award ceremony will be held at The Capitol and laureates will read from their works on March 3
ALBANY, N.Y. (February 29, 2008)
The New York State Writers Institute has announced the State Author and State Poet for 2008-2010. The citations were established in 1985 by the governor and state legislature to promote fiction and poetry within the state. Upon the recommendation of two advisory panels of distinguished writers convened under the aegis of the New York State Writers Institute, the governor awards the citations every two years.
- Mary Gordon, New York State Edith Wharton Citation of Merit as State Author
- Jean Valentine, New York State Walt Whitman Citation of Merit as State Poet
- Governor Eliot Spitzer and First Lady Silda Wall Spitzer
- George M. Philip, Interim President, University at Albany
- William Kennedy, chair, ex officio, Executive Director, New York State Writers Institute
- Donald Faulkner, chair, ex officio, Director, New York State Writers Institute
Monday, March 3, 2008.
. Award ceremony: 3:30 p.m. The Capitol, Blue Room, Albany N.Y.
. Laureate reading: 8 p.m., Page Hall, University at Albany, 135 Western Ave, Albany, N.Y.
The University at Albany's broad mission of excellence in undergraduate and graduate education, research and public service engages 17,000 diverse students in nine schools and colleges, and an honors college. For more information about this internationally ranked institution, visit theUniversity at Albany. Visit UAlbany's extensive roster of faculty experts.
Please send questions or comments about the UAlbany News site to: firstname.lastname@example.org