Young Entrepreneurs Academy
Inviting Capital Region Students Grade 6-12
The Young Entrepreneurs Academy (YEA!) is a year-long program that teaches middle and high school students how to start and run their own REAL businesses. Developed at the University of Rochester in 2004 with the support of a grant from the Kauffman Foundation, YEA! is in its third year at the School of Business, University at Albany, SUNY. Our local lead sponsors are Turf Hotels, Inc. and Bank of America.
Over the course of the program, students:
- Brainstorm business ideas
- Write a business plan
- Pitch their business plan to potential investors
- Obtain funding
- Actually launch their own businesses or social movements
This program offers you the chance to:
- Develop the skills necessary to launch your own business or social movement (hands-on entrepreneurial experience!)
- Learn about real businesses - why they succeed or fail.
- Hear from local entrepreneurs.
- Launch your own business!
- Become more confident in your ideas and your abilities.
Organization of Program
YEA! will meet November through June, every Tuesday from 4 to 7 PM at the School of Business, University at Albany, SUNY. We will accept applications from students in grades 6-12. There are no classes during regular school holidays and recesses. Students are taught by one instructor, but are exposed to guest lecturers, successful entrepreneurs and business mentors. The class goes on field trips to various local businesses. Finally, the students participate in three major events throughout the year: the Investor Panel, Trade Show and a formal graduation ceremony.
To get more information, download a brochure.
To apply for the YEA! program for 2012-2013, download an application.
View our video from the 2011 Investor Panel!
Additional inquiries can be directed to Jason Cotugno or Sally Mills in the School of Business.