M.S. in Accounting - 2-year Program
AACSB accredited, CPA-ready, tailored to non-Accounting majors
Complete your NYS CPA education requirements through attending the University at Albany School of Business two-year M.S. in Accounting program. The two-year program Masters in Accounting Program is designed for individuals with no prior educational background in accounting or business; resulting in a highly diverse student body ranging in educational and professional backgrounds from art to zoology and student geographical origins as far reaching as Taiwan and China and as close as Albany, NY. Don’t hesitate in changing your professional focus to Accounting, as the opportunities in the profession and business world are endless for graduates of this program.
Choosing the University at Albany School of Business M.S. in Accounting Program to achieve your academic and professional success
- In just two years, the Masters of Science in Accounting program prepares students without an undergraduate degree in Accounting to meet the 150 credit hour NYS Education CPA requirements, and more importantly it prepares you to become a highly skilled professional accountant in a wide variety of settings, including public accounting, government, industry and not-for-profit environments.
- Graduates of this program are highly recruited by more than 16 top-tier organizations around the world– whose recruiting teams are often seen in the School of Business conducting mock interviews and visiting with M.S. Accounting students prior to formal interviews. Not only have our alumni achieved success in public accounting, many have gone on to become leaders in the community and in the world of business.
- Ethics seminars are held on campus for M.S. Accounting students during all four semesters by prominent industry and academic professionals to deliver interactive discussions on internal controls and industry specific topics on the globalization of ethical business practices.
- The University at Albany School of Business has maintained a dual accreditation in Business and Accounting through the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), placing the school in the top 5% of business programs in the world. This distinction ensures that you will receive an education from qualified field experts within a curriculum focused on current and future economic events.
Setting Expectations – Curriculum and Coursework
The MS Accounting program is a four-semester, cohort-based, full-time program, with admission during the Fall semester only.
During the first year of the program, you have the opportunity to take a series of business courses and introductory accounting courses to develop skills in analysis and general business functions-- important skill sets for any business professional. An in-depth study of accounting is the focus of the program in the second year, when students typically take courses in taxation, advanced financial accounting theory, advanced accounting systems and accounting research. Students finish the program with an engaging capstone course where you have the opportunity to work side by side with accounting faculty to develop an original research thesis in ACC 680.
Courses required to graduate from this program include:
||Theory Financial Accounting
||Introduction to Cost
||Theory Financial Accounting II
||Theory Financial Accounting III
||Survey of Taxation
||Internal Controls and Financial Information Systems
||Contemporary Developments in Accounting Thought
||1 Graduate Accounting Elective
||Total Graduate Accounting Credits
||Organizational Behavior and Management
||Advanced Excel with Visual Basic
||Law and the Corporation
||Law and Business
||Corporate Financial Problems
||Total Program Credits
Let’s Get Acquainted – Ideal Candidates for the two year program
If you have strong communication skills, an excellent academic background with little or no previous educational experience in accounting, and are highly motivated to begin or change your career to accounting and business, the University at Albany M.S. Accounting program is the ideal program for you. We actively seek students with a wide range of backgrounds and career goals, so you are able to benefit from varying perspectives inside and outside the classroom.
- Admission to the M.S. Accounting two-year program requires the completion of an undergraduate degree (minimum of 120 credit hours earned), and includes 12 prerequisite credit hours total, as broken down in the following disciplines:
To apply today, please visit the web site of the Graduate Admissions Office. There you will be able to apply on-line and will be provided with instructions and procedures for completing your online application. We look forward to reviewing your application.