Raymond K. Van Ness
Position: Coordinator of Strategic Management, Visiting Assistant Professor
Office: (518) 442-5087
Ph.D., Union Institute & University, Cincinnati, Ohio
Influence of Educational Experiences on Ethical Decision-making
Research & Publications
Modification of Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions
International Business and the Impact of Culture
Boards of Directors & Financial Performance
Influence of Boards of Directors on Corporate Strategy
MGT 481: Strategic Management (Undergraduate)
MGT 682: Strategic Management (Graduate)
(1) Business - 20 years
- Experience in Manufacturing, Retail, Wholesale, and Service.
- Internal Auditor for Endicott Johnson Corporation, an international shoe manufacturing company.
- Manager of Finance for a wire manufacturing business.
- Progressive positions in a manufacturing, wholesaling, and retailing corporation. [Controller, Vice President for finance, Elected to Board of Directors, and President]
- Entrepreneur (President & CEO): Cambridge Progressive Industries, Inc. a holding company for a chain of retail stores, several mail order companies, and a wholesale film-processing lab.
(2) Education - 20+ years
- Coordinator for undergraduate courses in Strategic Management (MGT 481). University at Albany
- Executive training: Strategic and Financial Planning, Management Forum division of the Empire State College
- Professor and coordinator of Entrepreneurial and Accounting programs for BCC in Binghamton, NY.
- Administrative/curriculum faculty, Excelsior College.
Professional Honors & Memberships
"Sustained Excellence in Teaching Award" State University of New York, ESC
"2003 Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching Award", School of Business, State University of New York, University at Albany
"Who's Who Among America's Teachers" Listed in several editions
Institute of Management Accountants
American Accounting Association
Academy of International Business & Economics
Academy of Management
Southern Management Association
2004 University at Albany Commencement faculty speaker
Affiliations & Positions
Excelsior College faculty advisory board
SUNY Empire State College, Credit Evaluator
- Institute of Management Accountants, Vice President, Adirondack Chapter
- Management Development Advisor
- The classroom is an exciting environment and it provides the opportunity for intellectual growth for everyone.
- It is a place where thoughts and ideas should be exchanged freely and without the fear of undue criticism.
- Students contribute as much to the learning experience as the professor.
- A classroom belongs to student scholars.
- Student scholars understand and appreciate the efforts of their professors.
- Students who are treated with respect and kindness will reciprocate with astoundingly creative and scholarly thoughts and ideas.
- Students are our future.