State Frequently Asked Questions


  • How do I know what vacancy savings I have?
    iweekly updates on savings balances beginning in the Fall semester, when reallocation plans have been implemented (usually in September but varying depending on the budget process). The savings summary lists a current savings balance, which adds total and projected savings and subtracts funds already committed in reallocation plans (for academic units) and on savings targets.
  • How can I access my savings from vacant lines?
    Send requests for allocation moves to your budget analyst in the Budget office.
  • Can I use vacancy savings to hire a new employee?
    Vacancy savings can be used for Temporary Service appointments but not for PSR appointments.
  • Can I move vacancy savings allocation to my IFR account?
    Savings accrue on state and DIFR lines and funds cannot be moved between state, DIFR and IFR accounts. To use up savings and generate IFR balances, charges can be moved from IFR accounts to state accounts, where savings allocation can be used to cover them. In certain circumstances, savings balances can be rolled forward into an IFR account at the end of the fiscal year.
  • What can I do if I have savings left over at the end of the fiscal year?
    In certain circumstances, we can roll over state savings balances into IFR accounts. For smaller balances, we recommend moving expenses to use up your savings.
  • I forgot to list vacant line 123 on my reallocation plan. Will I still get savings from that line?
    Yes. Savings run based on vacant lines in PeopleSoft. The process is independent from the reallocation plans process.

Reallocation plans

  • What is a reallocation plan?
    Reallocation plans are used for academic units to process multiple base and one-time allocation moves at one time. Implemented at the beginning of the fall semester, reallocation plans redirect vacant resources to cover base and temporary commitments in the college or school during the upcoming academic year.
  • When are reallocation plans due?
    A tentative reallocation plan is often required for spring budget hearings to discuss allocation levels for the next fiscal year. Final reallocation plans will be requested in the summer (generally August) for implementation at the beginning of the fall semester.
  • Who should I contact with questions about my reallocation plan?
    Please contact your school's budget analyst

Account balances

  • John Smith has been charged to my account, but no John Smith works for us. What should I do?
  • My employee John Smith has been charged to account X but they should be in account Y. What should I do?
  • My employee John Smith should be paid from my account X but there are no charges for him. What should I do?
    Submit a journal request form to the analyst responsible for Position Management. We can move the charges to the correct account.
  • Can you tell me what a charge in my OTPS is for?
    Contact the Accounting Office for information on OTPS charges.
  • Why was allocation moved in/out of my account?
    If you have access to Dropbox, review your allocation database saved there. The database lists all allocation moves into and from your accounts that were done by the Budget office. (Reallocation plan moves are the only exception - they are not listed in the database. Review your implemented reallocation plan to confirm these moves.) TS/OTPS moves you requested directly through Accounting are not listed. If you don't have access to Dropbox, contact the Fiscal Manager of your division for information.