Other University Resources
Master's in Biology Frequently Asked Questions
Is an M.S. degree necessary to I apply to the Ph.D. program?
- No, a bachelors degree is required. Students interested in receiving a Ph.D. should apply directly to the Ph.D. program.
What are the Minimum application requirements / Pre-requisites?
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- GPA of 3.0
What GRE scores are needed for graduate school?
- Only the GRE General Test scores are required
- You are unlikely to be admitted with scores below the 50th percentile
- Other tests such as GMATs or MCATs are not applicable or accepted.Answer to Question #3
What is the English Proficiency requirement for international students?
- TOEFL is required of all International Students
- The Department maintains specific English proficiency standards for the support of international students who are accepted into our graduate program as follows:
- Students are eligible for teaching assistantships with a TOEFL of 600-619 (paper) or 250-260 (computer) AND a GRE Verbal greater than or = to 60%
- Students are eligible for teaching assistantships with TOEFL above 620 (paper) OR 260 (computer) AND a GRE Verbal greater than or = to 40%
- Students are usually required to provide their own support with a TOEFL below: 600 (paper) OR 250 (computer); the UALBANY TOEFL minimum is: 550 (paper) OR 213 (computer).
What are the GRE and TOEFL Codes for UAlbany Biology Department?
- GRE institution code is 2532.
- TOEFL institution code is the same, 2532.
What Undergraduate or Graduate GPA should I have to apply to the MS program?
How many credits are required to complete the masters program in Biology?
- A total of 30 credits is required to complete the MS program in biology.
Can I transfer credits to your graduate program?
- Yes. For the M.S. program, only 6 credits can transfer and the decision is made upon admission to the program.
How can I get an application?
How much is the application fee?
- The current processing fee for MS applications is $75 and must be paid for an application to be considered complete and reviewed by the department. The fees are never waived.
What type of financial support is available?
- No financial assistance is typically available for students seeking a Master’s Degree in Biology at the University at Albany.
How are Admissions Decisions made?
- Once an application is complete [application form, fee paid, 3 letters of reference, all prior transcripts, statement of goals the file is transmitted to the department office.
- The entire file and all required components are reviewed by a committee of faculty and a recommendation is sent forward to the University Graduate Admissions Office.
- Students should expect at least 2 weeks for a file to be reviewed once the file is received in the department office.
Where do I submit my application?
What type of Housing is available?
- On-campus apartments (http://www.albany.edu/housing)
- Off-campus apartments in a variety of urban, suburban and rural settings. This is the most popular choice for graduate students.
What are the deadlines for application?
I want to make a visit to the department, whom do I contact?