Mission & Goals
The mission of the M.S. degree in Forensic Biology is to prepare students for careers in various forensic science and conventional analytical laboratories. With the rapid development of advances in modern biology, there is a need for personnel with specialized training in the field of Forensic Biology. Such training provides students with the knowledge and expertise necessary to perform the most innovative forensic tests and applications available and assure competence in the general areas of molecular biology and genetics. Furthermore, this graduate-level program provides students with the theoretical knowledge and intellectual preparation in the discipline that is necessary for these individuals to keep up with future advances in technology. This mission is accomplished through the following goals and learning outcomes.
Goals and Learning Outcomes
1. Biology Component: To demonstrate a thorough understanding of advanced molecular biology and supporting coursework that includes genetics, safety, ethics and conduct, presentation skills, biotechniques, and scientific writing.
Outcomes Assessment: Accomplishment will be assessed through satisfactory performance in appropriate course work and via a written core examination.
2. Forensic Biology Component: To demonstrate theoretical and practical training in Forensic Biology.
Outcomes Assessment: Faculty evaluation of oral presentations on assigned topics in Forensic Biology and through the written core examination.
3. Demonstrate breadth of knowledge in forensic science.
Outcomes Assessment: Demonstrate a basic understanding of other disciplines in forensic science via curricular work and core examination.
4. Identify and solve a research problem with a forensically applicable component utilizing laboratory methodologies.
Outcomes Assessment: Internship advisor and internship committee will evaluate and approve an internship proposal and subsequently, performance in the internship-based research experience. Document the results of the internship in a substantial written report and communicate the internship experience in an oral presentation to peers.
5. Communication Skills: Learn effective oral and written communication skills.
Outcomes Assessment: Document the results of the internship in a substantial written report and communicate the internship experience in an oral presentation to peers.