Art History Links
Please note: these links are currently under construction. Please check back soon!
Art History Major
Through small classes, one-on-one advisement with full-time Art History faculty, special events such as field trips to New York City museums, and personalized counseling on internships and careers, the Art History major offers students at UAlbany a unique opportunity to excel in an area that is increasingly in demand in today's visually-oriented world.
The Art History Major is an interdisciplinary major that maximizes student potential to succeed in the following areas:
- Understanding, managing, and critically assessing art, architecture, archaeology, and other kinds of visual imagery and design
- Learning the methods of historical analysis in a global context
- Gaining skills for advanced writing in the arts, history, and criticism
- Achieving hands-on experience through Internships in museums and other art institutions throughout the Capitol Region and beyond
Art History majors at the University at Albany go on to employment in:
- Museums, galleries, and other arts institutions
- Historic sites and historic preservation
- Curating, producing and managing digital image collections for businesses and nonprofit institutions
- Art education in schools and museums
The Art History major also provides students with the credentials for graduate work in:
- Art History and archaeology
- Museum studies
- Arts administration
- Public History
- Information Science
- Art education
- Art therapy
- Art conservation (especially with a double major in Art)
Questions?: Please contact Prof. Sarah Cohen, Director of the Art History program: scohen@Albany.edu
Classes and Advisement
Class sizes in upper-level Art History courses range from lecture courses of twenty to forty students, to advanced research seminars of a dozen students. All of the upper-level Art History courses provide ample opportunity for one-on-one contact between student and professor.
Full-time faculty provide all of the advisement in Art History. Advising is individualized to students' needs and includes career planning and counseling for applying to graduate schools.
Requirements for the Art History Major:
36 credits: 9 credits in core courses, including two introductory surveys and an advanced research seminar
9 credits in Lower Division Electives (200-level)
18 credits in Upper Division Electives (300-level and above)
UAlbany Art History in the News: Internship in Conservation
Employment in Art History