Research – a systematic inquiry or investigation into a topic – is conducted across the curricula at the University at Albany. Whether it is using ancient texts or more recent diaries to develop new understandings or analyzing data to find mathematical patterns, research is an important component of your university education. Research begins with a question. What answer will you uncover?
What is Art research?
- Artistic creation - Embraces paintings, drawings, sculpture, photographs,prints, mixed media works, installations and performance
- Study of the history of artistic creation - Focuses on the artistic works of the past and determines the methods of production and the meanings within their particular historical contexts
How can I do research in Art at UAlbany?
- In the context of regular coursework such as projects produced in Studio classes
- Independent studies, honors projects, internships
- The department website indicates each individual faculty member's research interests.
- Students may contact Prof. JoAnne Carson for opportunities in Studio Art.
Some other sources to explore
- College Art Association at www.collegeart.org It has a student membership and covers current research in Art.
- International Center for Medieval Art at www.medievalart.org
- Undergraduate Honors Conference
If you like Art, there might be interesting research opportunities for you in:
Art History, History, Medieval and Renaissance Studies, Documentary Studies
Professor JoAnne Carson email@example.com